Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2015, 08:42 AM

Self service..

I’ve often wondered about these self service checkouts in supermarkets.
Do they rely on people’s honesty to scan every item – or is there some sort of safeguard in case the odd item finds itself in a persons take-home bag without being scanned?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2015, 08:51 AM

Re: Self service..

I think to some extent it's honesty but I do see more people being stopped as they leave by security when they have used those tills so I assume they have cameras trained on them.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2015, 08:53 AM

There's normally a staff member standing about nearby but yes, I often wonder if there's a safety net in place. In which case, what about something I've bought from another shop...would a non scanned item set off alarms?

Edited re Julie's post. I agree. Maybe security in another room are watching on monitors and nowadays some staff wear headsets so they could be alerted. The store has to try and stay a step ahead of shoplifters nowadays.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2015, 10:00 AM

I am not really against them. They do save time. I expect that the supermarkets know that a few people will get away with cheating but they reckon that this is offset by what they save by employing fewer people at the check-out. Would-be customers will be deterred by long queues at the check-out.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2015, 10:08 AM

I dont think you can pack an item you havnt scanned as the weight sensor on the counter goes off..which then alerts the assistant. I suppose if you were putting some item into your bag that wasnt on the weight sensored shelf where the bags are you could get away with it but i very much doubt it.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2015, 10:28 AM

I use them if I have only one or two items otherwise I use the manned ( or womanned) checkouts.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2015, 10:34 AM

When they first started using them I saw a notice up in some supermarkets to say some shoppers would be randomly checked.
I never use them
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2015, 02:19 PM

I always end up having to get staff to help, usually because it says stupid things about stuff in the bagging area or won't recognise barcode so I don't bother, it takes longer than a normal till!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2015, 02:56 PM

It does, TessA. Talk about wasting my valuable time.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2015, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I always end up having to get staff to help, usually because it says stupid things about stuff in the bagging area or won't recognise barcode so I don't bother, it takes longer than a normal till!

Same here Tess, I don't like 'em.
I did try one today for just a newspaper, that's all - 1 flippin' newspaper, and it wouldn't accept the bar code. Stupid machines.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top