Join for free
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2015, 03:48 PM

out of date

Son in law cut himself , told him to look in bag of medicines in cupboard in spare bedroom, he came back with a bottle of tcp which has was five years out of date smiling sheepishly at me shaking his head . It's fine says I , probably blow your finger off at the same time , sure enough next day cut was gone and healed up .

Do dates matter ?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2015, 03:57 PM

Re: out of date

Think it depends what the item is - if its taken internally, I think it matters
Know someone who took a cough medicine, out of date and was very sick.
The other factor is if its been stored in the summer heat, would want to finish a bottle pretty quick
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2015, 04:01 PM

Yes I agree, provided you are not taking them internally I wouldn't worry about such things as tcp or spirited treatments. Tablets they never get out of date in this house as I am always buying new everyweek whether it is antihistamine or ibuprofen or immodium............I am a junkie as I need these back ups as well as volterol or E45 cream.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2015, 04:32 PM

I also agree as long as you are not taking them internally.
PS just adore the smell of TCP.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2015, 04:45 PM

It's funny that medicine cupboard stuff aren't used hardly when bought, so when you do need any later on, they are all out of date.. So maybe if we all checked out what we have and what we need and kept some kind of list with there date's on they might get used quicker..... just a thought
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2015, 08:39 AM

I could never understand why first aid consumables have a best/use by date, thinks like bandage, lint etc. I had a bag of stuff, probably taken from Mum's, or when Dad had to use them, but all had an old expiry date. Think I chucked them. Should I have?
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2015, 09:53 AM

Mrs M seems to think that something really drastic happens at midnight before the ‘best before’ fate. I keep telling her that decay is a process and the date stated is only a general indication. I never succeed. I even think that ‘use by’ is not as absolute as it seems. On the whole I think that if the food doesn’t smell bad then it isn’t bad.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2015, 09:58 AM

Just a thought

If medicines are flushed down the toilet, traces of them can end up in water courses like rivers or the sea.

So if you see fishes behaving oddly or swimming backwards you now know why
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2015, 05:06 PM

I've heard that hard pills will last longer than capsules with liquid for instance. If I had Acetaminophen a month overdue, I'll take one but longer than that 'no'.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top