Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2015, 07:59 PM

Old age is no place for sissys

In the retirement community in which I reside I am at 67 the youngest. Duing the week I get to have coffee with some of them. This TuesdayI found myself sat between Violet aged 98 & Joan aged 96 (last week).
What positive attitudes they possess, full of life & interested in all around them. But they havent had it easy, hence my post's title..
How's your journey been?
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2015, 08:03 PM

Re: Old age is no place for sissys

What you say is so true Robert. I've recently started volunteering with The Canal and River Trust as a volunteer lock keeper. All of us are retired and most of us in our mid to late 60's. I've been amazed to find just how positive and active my colleagues are. Some of our discussions are very intellectually challenging and make the job extremely fulfilling.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2015, 09:17 PM

I don't have time to be a sissy.
I retired at 70, and it been hard and painful. The same year I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. I got through that and am still clear with a PSA of 0.0.
My wife's health has deteriorated, and last year she had a fall and bust her ankle. She spent 10 weeks in hospital, having 3 operations, with metal supports in her leg. Then 6 weeks in rehab.
She still cannot walk and only stand for a few minutes.
I am her carer, and it is a full time job.
I sprained my back 2 weeks ago, still very painful at times.
It's great being retired. Yea right.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2015, 09:23 PM

Older people generally have seen more places and done more things than youth of today. The problem is all that information is lost when they pass on. I know i would have loved to learn more about my Grandmothers life but i was then too young to even want toknow
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2015, 08:59 AM

Its true that you retire and cant be a sissy.
You get on with it as my Mam used to say.
Sorry about your dilemma Emjay. Hi as I haven't
seen you here before. They say things are sent to try
us and we never know what that might be. Hope your
wife gets better soon. You should be able to get some
help with your situation. Try contacting AgeUK and see
what they say.
Robert I noticed you are Junior. So does that mean you
are not Senior yet? Just a query.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2015, 09:06 AM

Hi Bowie eyes. Yes I am new on this forum.
As for getting help, we do have a helper that comes in 3 mornings to wash and dress her. I do it the other days.
I also have a caring daughter that comes here most days for a few hours. It takes the strain off me for a while.
As for the wife getting better, I wish.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2015, 09:53 AM

I suppose it depends on how your doing when you reach retirement age. Being comfortable will allow a degree of relaxation that might not be available to some. Although the journey may be hard its how you are now that matters, circumstances can change in the blink of an eye, and future dreams can shatter in an instant.

Good luck to all that make it, and can enjoy their hard earned retirement.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2015, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->

Good luck to all that make it, and can enjoy their hard earned retirement.
Thank you Nom, I will keep enjoying it. Mind you, it wasn't all that hard earned, just well planned.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2015, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
Its true that you retire and cant be a sissy.
Robert I noticed you are Junior. So does that mean you
are not Senior yet? Just a query.
I am the 9th Robert in a line from my ancestor Robert born in 1702. I have 2 more Roberts after me.

Most peole call me RJ.

Yes I am a senior at 67, but I retired in 1995 aged 47.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2015, 11:51 AM

How's your journey been?
Like the rest of us I guess RJ, some of it good some of it bad unless you are very lucky...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top