Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2015, 04:41 AM

Whoa, wow, Tommy Cooper...

Let's see for those of us who are avid readers...I read Ian Dury's bio which mentioned a photo with a fez..."And he goes all Tommy Cooper"...who is THAT?". So a few months later I find a compilation of English comedians and one Tommy Cooper who had the standard "Just like that..." before a trick went wrong. There is a YouTube video of him...just like that, and he died on stage, brief but wow...

Then apparently a backlash...

Tens of thousands of people have watched scenes of the comedian collapsing from a heart attack during a live TV performance in 1984.

Most of the audience watching the London Weekend Television variety show Live From her Majesty's, thought it was part of his act and were still laughing, until it became apparent he was seriously ill.

Although YouTube has been alerted to clip, the video sharing site has not removed it. It does highlight users that it is potentially "inappropriate" content however.

Philip Davies, the Tory MP who sits on the Commons culture, media and sport select committee, said: "Most people would find that tasteless," he said. "Everybody knows he died on stage. I don't think we need to see this to be reminded of that.

"They ought to have some regard to his family. It does YouTube a discredit.

"If they have decided that this is the sort of material that people should be free to watch then I think they should reconsider."

John Beyer, from Mediawatch UK, said: "This is very poor taste. That the broadcasters have not repeated the incident show they have a respect for him and I think that ought to apply also on YouTube.

"I wish YouTube and user content sites would have a bit more responsibility at the centre, rather than just expect people at the periphery to control things.

"They should take it all down out of respect for Mr Cooper and his remaining family."

But it IS 2015 and it's still on YouTube, sad for his survivors.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2015, 05:28 AM

Re: Whoa, wow, Tommy Cooper...

Yes, it is"In poor taste" !
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2015, 07:37 AM

I vividly remember seeing that happen, with Dad beside me, and we both wondered what had gone wrong.

I agree, if it's still on Youtube then it should be removed.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2015, 07:44 AM

I also remember that horrible moment and feel there's no need for it to be broadcast ever again.

This is the darker side of sites like YouTube.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2015, 07:57 AM

I remember seeing it Live on TV it was quite shocking when
you realised he wasn't joking.
Don't think its something we should see all of the time on YT.

Just for those who don't know who Tommy Cooper was as
I presume he didn't hit places like the USA etc. I have added
a few Tommy Cooper jokes for you. People who remember him
will admit they are weak jokes but it was the way he delivered them
and the way he looked as he did that. I can still see him and he
made me laugh just to look at him.

1. Two blondes walked into a building..........you'd think at least one of them would have seen it.

2. Phone answering machine message - '...If you want marijuana, press the hash key...'

3. A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only Glad wrap for shorts. The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'

4. I went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

5. I went to the butchers the other day and I bet him 50 quid that he couldn't reach the meat off the top shelf. He said, 'No, the steaks are too high..'

6. My friend drowned in a bowl of muesli. A strong currant pulled him in.

7. A man came round in hospital after a serious accident. He shouted, 'Doctor, doctor, I can't feel my legs!' The doctor replied, 'I know you can't, I've cut your arms off'..

8. I went to a seafood disco last week...and pulled a muscle.

9. Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly. They lit a fire in the craft, it sank, proving once and for all that you can't have your kayak and heat it too.

10. Our ice cream man was found lying on the floor of his van covered with hundreds and thousands.. Police say that he topped himself.

11. Man goes to the doctor, with a strawberry growing out of his head. Doc says 'I'll give you some cream to put on it.'

12. 'Doc I can't stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home'. 'That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.' 'Is it common? ' 'It's not unusual'.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2015, 09:10 AM

Ahh bless him , lovely lovely man. No bad language , just a really funny man. Big respect to him for a the laughter he brought into our world x
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2015, 09:28 AM

We had the programme on that night when it happened it was a sad night for all, and felt so awful afterwards as he was one of our greatest Comedy Magicians.
When he use to walk on to the stage you were in fits of laughter before he even started his act, he was so funny..
They should have removed the video from Youtube out of respect, but everything on there is viral, hangings, shootings, violence. Everything should be vetted first and if it's distasteful it should be stopped from ever going on..

Great man so sad of his loss...
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2015, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Ahh bless him , lovely lovely man. No bad language , just a really funny man. Big respect to him for a the laughter he brought into our world x
He didn't have to say a word, we just laughed the minute he walked on to a stage, brilliant man.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2015, 09:51 AM

Thanks Sandy for the quotes - my kind of humour
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2015, 02:17 PM

[QUOTE=BowieEyes;679283]I remember seeing it Live on TV it was quite shocking when
you realised he wasn't joking.
Don't think its something we should see all of the time on YT.

Just for those who don't know who Tommy Cooper was as
I presume he didn't hit places like the USA etc. I have added
a few Tommy Cooper jokes for you. People who remember him
will admit they are weak jokes but it was the way he delivered them
and the way he looked as he did that. I can still see him and he
made me laugh just to look at him.

QUOTE]

I agree Sandy, no smut, no 'f-ing' and bad language, just a genuinely funny man. I don't find most of today's comedians anything like that. Too much swearing for a start.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top