Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2015, 03:55 PM

What A Palava

An elder came to me door and says, Can I put shredded paper in the recycling bin, there's a few bags of it
Yes - says Fabs - its paper so why not
When he tells me, I said - hang on it'll fly about when they empty it and what about when it gets to the plant, they'll have a fit !
I rushed to google the answer and the first thing I saw - 'don't' recycle shredded paper !
I rushed to the phone - have you emptied it - no not yet - well don't, you can't - phew, sigh of relief - no fine for me
Then Fabs says, did you google 'our' Council ...........
Oh gawd - back I goes to the computer and no you can't bin it, you're to put it in a cardboard box and take it to the 'recycling' tip ! Huh ?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2015, 04:01 PM

Re: What A Palava

Where does the recycle in your bin go then?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2015, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Where does the recycle in your bin go then?
'giggle'
Well I've given it more thought - maybe when you take the boxes of it to the tip, the guy there then knows its shredded paper and will 'handle it carefully' ................
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2015, 04:10 PM

Wrap it in bubble wrap just in case then!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

18-07-2015, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Wrap it in bubble wrap just in case then!
Splendid idea ................pop - pop pop
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2015, 04:17 PM

I always enclose my shredded paper in a separate pink recycling bag and the pop into the main recycling bag at no time have they told us not to. As far as I am concerned we are told to recycle paper. Paper is paper no matter how it is presented. I would have to start having bonfires in the bbq if they said we couldn't recycle it. Another no no!
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2015, 04:21 PM

I have been told that although we recycle into pink bags for recycling items, black bags for all other rubbish and a green wheelie bin for garden material the pink and the black bags all end up on the main tip!!!! Wonder if it is true? We take a hell of a lot of rubbish down from London here for infill on Pitsea Marshes.............not fair!
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2015, 04:47 PM

Ooer Ive never given it a thought.We have a recycling bin for papers ,tins.glass ,foil,so I just chuck it all in together and once a fortnight the bin men come to empty it into their lorry.
I always shred important documents first,no one's ever said anything
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

18-07-2015, 05:10 PM

Would be no surprise to me if I got the fine
So I'm being cautious on this one
I agree paper is paper, but apparently its when it gets to the plant that problems can occur when it flys about or getting caught in machinery ..............
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2015, 05:18 PM

Well...I put it in black bin bags and just chuck it in our usual big bins! I did ponder if I could put some in the composting bin, but not a lot of room at the moment.

Then again, my friend DID say I could use her incinerator...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top