Join for free
ShirleyMarie
Michigan, USA
ShirleyMarie is female  ShirleyMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 05:23 PM

Missing our butterflies

There are no butterflies this year, not one.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 06:48 PM

Re: Missing our butterflies

Why is that Shirley?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 06:49 PM

I haven't seen many butterflies so far this year. There are usually dozens of cabbage whites laying their eggs on my brassicas but I've only seen one so far.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 07:09 PM

I saw a number of butterflies last week when taking the children to the nature reserve...
We saw the Holly Blue and Clouded Yellow (there are picture boards to help identification)
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 08:23 PM

I've got quite a large Buddleia right outside my back door. I can see why they call it "the butterfly bush", it attracts loads. It's lovely to watch them from the kitchen window on a sunny day.

I love butterflies. I have got a very pretty duvet cover & pillow cases with butterflies all over them too. Very restful.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 09:44 PM

ShirleyMarie you want Butterflies come to Norfolk, everyday when i walk the dog i see loads so no shortage here.☺
ShirleyMarie
Michigan, USA
ShirleyMarie is female  ShirleyMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 10:21 PM

Two very severe winters back to back has killed all our butterflies, even the little white ones that pester the cabbages and survive more cold then any others. Butterflies can't be introduced like other critters as they are specific to a area where they were hatched. A few years ago, when I was in Florida I noticed that butterflies were few and far between. I sent a note to the University of Florida and they told me the winter had killed them, but here were enough in the southern parts of the state that they would slowly work their way back, and they did over the next 3 years. Our winter was over such a large area I doubt we will have them again.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2015, 02:38 PM

So sad to read you have no butterflies there, Shirley.

We have had a few, Meadow Brown & Small White. But our Buddleia isn't blooming yet. OH pruned it hard & it's taken a while to grow on, it had got flower buds on it now.
Small White, taken in April.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2015, 03:13 PM

Oh that is such a shame I hope they work their way back to you soon.

We have had a few in the garden this year, but I did buy some flowers that say especially for butterflies so maybe that is the reason.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top