Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 08:59 PM

Energy To Matter - How is it done?

This weekend I cleared the garden and as part of that cut down a pussy willow tree that had self-sprouted, probably from birds dropping seeds. It was 10ft high and the trunk was 5-6 inches in diameter. Had to use a mini chainsaw pruner to get it down. After a long day I sat on the patio with a cool drink and found myself staring at the logs I had made from the tree. Then I found myself staring at a much larger tree next door. And I suddenly realised something I had hither to taken for granted.

We all know and accept that plants and trees grow from seedlings into huge things. We know they need sunlight and water to grow.

But have you ever stopped to think . . . where does all that matter actually come from?

Next time you pass a tree stop and consider just how huge it is and how much matter there is.

Now, there is no massive hole in the ground beneath the tree. In fact as we know there is even more matter in the form of the root system. So just where did all that substance come from? Not from simply water surely?

Does anyone out there know how a tree works?

I can only assume that a tree is an amazing converter of energy to matter. We too as humans convert energy to matter to some extent, as we start of as tiny babies and grow to adults, but our levels of energy conversion seem to me somewhat miniscule compared to that of a great oak.

Why can't we harness this conversion of energy to matter?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 09:42 PM

Re: Energy To Matter - How is it done?

I think there is an abundance of Particles in a tree.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 09:52 PM

Hi Realist, this article has made me think long and hard, but I can't come up with an answer.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I think there is an abundance of Particles in a tree.
When I glanced at that first Spitty I thought it said "I think there is an abundance of partridges in a pear tree"

Plenty of food for thought there Realist, I just accept that it happens and that's it, no matter what the scientist tell us we really haven't a clue how a fraction of nature works, maybe it's not for us to understand, who for example want's to watch the workings of the inside of our bodies? I certainly don't I can't even watch an operation on TV, as long as it works I have no complaints.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Hi Realist, this article has made me think long and hard, but I can't come up with an answer.
I don't think it matters in the great scheme of things.

Hi Realist, I tend to think you're barking up the wrong tree. I found this on my PC

"

In humans and other animals growth can occur in most parts of the body. As we mature, our bones, skin and muscle all increase in size. Trees do not grow like this. Trees grow by producing new cells in a very limited number of places. These places of cell division are called meristems. Meristems are zones of intense activity. They are where all new cells are formed and where they expand.
Trees grow in height as a result of meristems that are located at their branch tips. These meristems are called apical meristems. Roots also expand through the soil by growing at their tips as a result of apical meristems. All buds that you see on a tree contain apical meristems. Trunk diameter growth occurs as a result of another meristem already mentioned called the vascular cambium. The vascular cambium produces new xylem and phloem each year and as a result the trunk, branches and roots continue to increase in diameter. Have you ever seen a fence wire or board grown into a tree?

That is the result of the vascular cambium. The fence wire or board doesn't rise into the air because height growth doesn't occur out of the ground, it only occurs from the branch tips.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 10:54 PM

Right! Now tell me how a slug produces all that slime but doesn't get thinner!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
This weekend I cleared the garden and as part of that cut down a pussy willow tree that had self-sprouted, probably from birds dropping seeds. It was 10ft high and the trunk was 5-6 inches in diameter. Had to use a mini chainsaw pruner to get it down. After a long day I sat on the patio with a cool drink and found myself staring at the logs I had made from the tree. Then I found myself staring at a much larger tree next door. And I suddenly realised something I had hither to taken for granted.

We all know and accept that plants and trees grow from seedlings into huge things. We know they need sunlight and water to grow.

But have you ever stopped to think . . . where does all that matter actually come from?

Next time you pass a tree stop and consider just how huge it is and how much matter there is.

Now, there is no massive hole in the ground beneath the tree. In fact as we know there is even more matter in the form of the root system. So just where did all that substance come from? Not from simply water surely?

I can only assume that a tree is an amazing converter of energy to matter. We too as humans convert energy to matter to some extent, as we start of as tiny babies and grow to adults, but our levels of energy conversion seem to me somewhat miniscule compared to that of a great oak.

because we move about a lot and trees generally speaking stand still for years
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I don't think it matters in the great scheme of things.

Hi Realist, I tend to think you're barking up the wrong tree. I found this on my PC

"

In humans and other animals growth can occur in most parts of the body. As we mature, our bones, skin and muscle all increase in size. Trees do not grow like this. Trees grow by producing new cells in a very limited number of places. These places of cell division are called meristems. Meristems are zones of intense activity. They are where all new cells are formed and where they expand.
Trees grow in height as a result of meristems that are located at their branch tips. These meristems are called apical meristems. Roots also expand through the soil by growing at their tips as a result of apical meristems. All buds that you see on a tree contain apical meristems. Trunk diameter growth occurs as a result of another meristem already mentioned called the vascular cambium. The vascular cambium produces new xylem and phloem each year and as a result the trunk, branches and roots continue to increase in diameter. Have you ever seen a fence wire or board grown into a tree?

That is the result of the vascular cambium. The fence wire or board doesn't rise into the air because height growth doesn't occur out of the ground, it only occurs from the branch tips.
...kin 'ell RJ what have you got on your PC - it's infected - get it wiped clean there are thought police out there just lookin for stuff like this - they can charge you for standing around just lookin at trees and not doin much in life - you know contributin to general society.

General society - is that next to the general library or hospital??
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

14-07-2015, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Right! Now tell me how a slug produces all that slime but doesn't get thinner!
'ang abort - 'ang abort - we aven't finished with the tree question yet and we surely ave to give alan some time to catch up - 'es sitting countin his cucumbers in the glass house at the moment - Alan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get back 'ere!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

14-07-2015, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

the quick answers I've already given ya but again - trees don't move - ie they stand still a lot although I do have a giant palm in my garden that is moving ever so slowly - it's called amongst other things 'the moving palm'!

so back to the issue - yes they can stand in one spot for many years and so expend ALL their energy produced into growing a large tree - now there ya go - that wasn't so d ifficult or painful was it - unless you want to take it to a higher more painful level?

but bein realist, ya haven't really realistically speakin got much time to expend have ya - meditate means vegetate - on the move with Tom Cruise!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top