Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 08:39 PM

I Dont Believe It

The other day Iwas in my local supermarket and remembered that I wanted a book of stamps..I asked the cashier who said "book of 6 or 12 first class or book of 12 second class" Now I wanted 2nd class only so said the book of 12.

They were £6.58 I dont believe it!!!!
I almost choked at the price,I had no Idea that they were that much so it shows how long ago I have bought any stamps doesnt it?

Have you ever bought something and been bowled over by how MUCH or how LITTLE it was?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 08:45 PM

Re: I Dont Believe It

Deja vu here…

I rarely use stamps and went to buy some a few months ago. the last time I bought them (maybe two years ago?) they were 68cents. Now they are €1…

Thank goodness I don't need many!
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 09:33 PM

Yes, it's quite shocking. http://www.howmuchisastamp.co.uk/ has prices going back to 1971 and it's quite an eye-opener!
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 10:13 PM

Thats just shocking Tachyon...wonder how long it will be until a stamp costs £1
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 10:16 PM

I cheat, if i receive a letter and the stamp hasn't been marked by the post office i take it off and use it again for anything i need to post..
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 10:19 PM

I seldom do any shopping, only when the wife is sick and can't get out, even then she has the daughter doing the major shopping for the week, but the last time she was sick she asked me to get bread when I went out, I was flabbergasted when the girl in the shop asked me for 2 euro 50 cents for a loaf. I am completely out of touch with all prices, except beer.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
so said the book of 12.

They were £6.58 I dont believe it!!!!
I almost choked at the price
Amazing how the mind is so easily fooled by past events. You are not alone in this paradigm. People have had subsidised post for so long their minds have become numb to reality.

12 stamps @ £6.58 = 0.54p each.

Just think that through.

You want someone to take something from you and transport it across the country for 54p ! 54p lols!

It's ludicrous. Always has been.

This limitation (the regulation of the price of a stamp) has been strangling the Post Office for years. Meanwhile, all the competitors can charge what the hell they like to transport post across the country. Every year costs of living and costs of keeping a business running go up. Normal companies simply put the price of their goods and services up to counter the rise in costs. The Post Office can't do that. It has to absorb increasing costs without having the freedom to raise the cost of stamps. Not a level playing field sadly and eventually they will completely destroy our PO.

Meanwhile, we should all imo think more realistically about what is a fair and reasonable price to pay to send something across the country.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2015, 05:40 AM

I ohoned my sil this week and she mentioned OH's birthday card and said sorry but its just one card from my and mum this year the price of two cards at over £2 each and then the cost of postage is just too much for her.
Sending a birthday card isnt 54p sil had to pay nearly a pound because its slightly bigger than a standard letter oh and because its card it weighs more.

Last year I sent a card abroad, it worked out cheaper to buy on of those online cards and have it sent that way then buying a card at my local shop and putting stamps on it!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2015, 08:06 AM

Yes that's right Aysa, 2nd class is 54p and 1st class is 64p.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2015, 08:54 AM

We buy stamps regularly and yes it is shocking but what is most shocking is how much if we didn't have our postal service it would cost, few years ago I read it would be £6.75 to send something from Surrey to Newcastle just a few years ago.

Now that would make our eyes water.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top