Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2015, 07:56 AM

would you stop to help

So many people do seem to not want to get involved in situations , possibly fear or think they won't be of help , or just don't know how to react. I will stop and help in most situations if I can , offer support or care.

Driving around a busy roundabout , I saw a car hit the back of another , the car had children in . I pulled over and tried to cross into the roundabout..cars would not stop to allow me to get across , I put my arm out and went over forcing them to. Getting the mother and children out of the car and going onto the grass area. No one hurt but in shock and a few bad bumps. Called ambulance and police, while holding the children close to me as the cars carried on speeding round, one car blasting his horn !

A other time I saw an old man lying on the pavement across from my house. I carefully went over and offered help, the poor soul had fallen , he said he'd been there a while (I had just got home) I offered an ambulance , cup of tea but he said he would be OK and wanted to walk. I watched him for a while till he disappeared out of sight.

I could not believe cars had driven past this old chap. It's my natural instinct to offer help, I'm no one really, I don't have medical skills , but always offer to help in some way .

Do you ?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2015, 08:33 AM

Re: would you stop to help

I would stop, not sure how much help I'd be though. I wouldn't be able to let anyone or bend down but I could ring the emergency services and offer comfort.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2015, 08:39 AM

I would always help someone I thoght needed help but I might have second thoughts if I was putting myself in danger.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2015, 08:56 AM

Susan its really good of you to help as you do. The roundabout info reminded me of a young friend i knew several years ago he was on a moped going round a roundabout when he got bumped by a car which never stopped he ended up on the road hurt and not one car stopped to ask if he was ok all they did was sound their horns in anger because his moped was on the road and they had to go round it poor things. Luckily a pedestrian helped him but it just shows you what a c**p world we live in. And yes i would help as i have done several times over the years☺
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2015, 09:09 AM

I do try if I can be of help. Chap locally uses a powered wheelchair when his battery failed people seemed to be just ignoring him so I crossed the road and asked if he was OK, he wasn't so I stayed with him called his son and waited until he arrived to get his dad home. Another time a motorcycle had over turned the rider trapped under it again people walking past as if they hadn't noticed, so I manfully tried to lift the bike (no way could I get it off the ground) then rang home and got my husband and the boys to dash up the road to help and between us we managed.
For me I always think if it happened to me I would want someone to help so it seems only fair I would be willing to help too. Can only assume the people ignoring others in need don't want to be helped if they fall or have a problem.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2015, 09:45 AM

I would always try to help where I could - there but for the grace of God etc.,
It is a sad world where people in trouble/distress are ignored - having said that, sometimes one can do more harm than good in an RTA situation unless one has First Aid training but, even then, just sitting and talking to someone while waiting for the professionals to arrive can be so comforting/reassuring, especially where children are involved. I could not just walk away.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2015, 09:55 AM

Yes I would always stop and do what I can to help...It is a sad old world if we cant help our fellow people when they need us.
A simple thing such as holding someones hand when they are in distress can mean so much to that person..I know from experience.
I would always asses the situation quickly before hand though as to not put myself in danger ,there are people that bump cars deliberately on roundabouts as I have found out also from experience too,so best to be alert to that as well.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2015, 10:02 AM

This is a silly thread. Would you stop to help?
Yes, I might. But not necessarily, depending on the situation.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2015, 10:07 AM

Why silly ? I was hoping someone might explain why they don't try to help although I guess they may also ignore the thread if they can walk past a person needing help.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2015, 10:14 AM

Julie, have you ever thought about being flagged down by some creep who doesn't actually need help but wants to hijack your car?
How would you know who needs genuine help these days?
I just wouldn't know when and when not to stop.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top