Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2015, 12:59 PM

Advice please ...

Given that I am not a photographer - just a happy snapper, I would appreciate some advice on buying a new camera.

The one I am using is a Canon Ixus 700, 7.1 Megapixels, 3 x Optical zoom. I like it because it is compact enough to fit in my handbag and it takes good clear photos - but - after my trip to Flamborough I have itchy fingers for something with a more powerful zoom.

I have seen another Canon, the PowerShot A4000, 16.0 Megapixels, 8 x Optical Zoom - it looks good and is certainly compact.

Should I go for that - or is there something similar but better?
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2015, 07:18 PM

Re: Advice please ...

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Given that I am not a photographer - just a happy snapper, I would appreciate some advice on buying a new camera.

The one I am using is a Canon Ixus 700, 7.1 Megapixels, 3 x Optical zoom. I like it because it is compact enough to fit in my handbag and it takes good clear photos - but - after my trip to Flamborough I have itchy fingers for something with a more powerful zoom.

I have seen another Canon, the PowerShot A4000, 16.0 Megapixels, 8 x Optical Zoom - it looks good and is certainly compact.

Should I go for that - or is there something similar but better?
I too am interested in buying a new camera, so I will watch this thread for advice.
We used to have a Static caravan at Flamborough Head, on Thornwick Bay, happy times
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2015, 09:13 PM

Lovely part of the world, Marj.

Have just fallen in love with a Panasonic Lumix TZ60 - neat, compact and has a 30 x Optical Zoom. Sounds good to me - anyone here use one?
Any comments ?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2015, 11:17 PM

If you are used to the Canon Ixus, then the A4000 is probably a good bet. I am a Canon fan, have the G15 and S100 as well as an SLR. Panasonic have good reviews but I think sticking with the menus that you know is worth it. What is your main photographic interest, though? That might make a difference. Also, I prefer a viewfinder on my cameras, but maybe that is not important to you?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

01-07-2015, 07:19 AM

I agree - a viewfinder is a must! Have looked at the Canons you mentioned but, like my 'Ixus' they do not have a very powerful zoom. The Panasonic has a 30 x optical zoom - which is amazing for the size of the camera and would be ideal for nature snaps.

Thanks for the suggestions though.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2015, 08:43 AM

The panasonic do some good compacts, what you need to consider is the type of photos you want, if it is just a point and shoot the panasonic is fine.
Consider does it feel good are all the controls just how you like them, and mainly look at what type of battery you get, is it standard everyday batteries or are the made especially for the camera, which is more expensive to have a spare. and when going on holiday you will need to take a charger with you.
A camera with a big zoom like the 30 optical, is hard to get perfect photos at the full zoom unless you have exceptional steady hands, so you might consider a monopod or light tripod.
Having used cameras most of my life the better photos usually come from a good steady device to hold it.
For the camera you say you like, look in your local curry's at a Manfrotto compact monopod at just £19-99 or the next one up which has a head that has a ball joint on the top so you can move your camera to any angle you want.
One I plumpt for recently was a Nikon coolpix S9900 worth looking at.
Enjoy your camera whatever you choose.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2015, 09:08 AM

Plenty of good specification compact cameras are available but I've mostly bought Canon. I have a 20x optical zoom (image stabilized) Canon Powershot SX260 HS at present and am pleased with it. USB 2.0 connection to the computer.

It won't give the clarity and sharpness of the larger and more expensive cameras with super lenses but a very good compromise between size and quality I reckon. Easy to keep in the palm of the hand for those quick shots, plus giving plenty of options for composed shots.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2015, 09:10 AM

AS a keen photographer maybe I can add my two penny worth.

1 First of all decide on the budget to spend on a new camera, you will always see one next up in the range a little better

2 have a look here for price comparison http://www.camerapricebuster.com/

3 don't get a particular make stuck in your mind, cameras are so good now there is little to choose between them

4 decide on a choice of 3 or 4

5 go into a camera store and see how comfortable the camera is to hold

6 the difference between cameras are with the features ,worth checking.

7 Think about what you want to take photos mainly of

8 next is a compact actually what you want or be more adventurous with a DSLR ( Digital Single Lens Reflex) camera

Ok what is the difference

A compact camera is exactly that, small easy to carry and relatively cheap, drawback is it does limit to an extent what one can take photos of

DSLR advantage is being able to use different lenses for different subject matter but usually far more expensive,downside heavier to carry about but makes one look professional ??

Most I suspect would go for a compact anyway and nothing wrong on that, I have both.

So check out which suits your purse,easiest to use,has the features you want and try them out in a good photographic shop where you will get good advice.

Just one more thing, do consider getting a decent editing suite not one that comes with the camera they are next to useless. I would recommend Adobe Elements 10 or 11.
on ebay they are now quite reasonably priced now later versions have come out
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

02-07-2015, 05:58 PM

Thank you everyone for a lot of good advice and food for thought, I will be able to ask some intelligent questions now when I go into the camera shop! One immediate disadvantage I have noticed about the TZ60 - the battery is integral so I could not have a spare to use while the original was charging.

I like this place - I learn something new every day.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2015, 08:55 AM

Good luck with whatever you buy, and have fun. Yes, you DO learn things here! Thumbs up.

I still haven't bought a proper photo editing suite but may do so now I have the new pooter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top