Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 11:01 PM

New Words

Where do new words that appear in the dictionary each year come from?
We have the English language already, so how can we suddenly invent more words?
And who invents them anyway?
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 11:10 PM

Re: New Words

I think a lot of the words are slang words that come from the younger generation. Or from new technology?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 11:14 PM

Well I wondered that Sue, but I wonder how they get them accepted into dictionaries?

If we oldies invented a new word we hoped to be included next year, I wonder what it would be?...
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2015, 09:52 AM

As I understand it there are people at the dictionary publishers (the Oxford English comes to mind) who monitor the appearance of new words in conversation, the press and now in social media. When they judge that it is widespread phenomenon then they include it.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2015, 01:03 PM

When my brother was very young he could never tell the difference between Crocodiles and Alligators - so they all became Crocodilligators. His children, grand children and now great grand children are still using that word. I think it is great. Should I submit it to OED ?
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2015, 01:20 PM

I heard on television the word #tag (hash tag ) has become an acceptable word for the dictionary . Don't know when I would use it , don't even know what it's for .

#tag ...perhaps someone will enlighten me !
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2015, 01:43 PM

Think it's something to do with Twitter 'addresses'.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2015, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
When my brother was very young he could never tell the difference between Crocodiles and Alligators - so they all became Crocodilligators. His children, grand children and now great grand children are still using that word. I think it is great. Should I submit it to OED ?
Yes! That's a lovely word!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top