Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2010, 11:59 PM

Reader's Digest

I see the Reader's Digest has gone into administration - I was almost brought up with that and it seems to have been around for ages.

My hubby had a magazine subscription for years and often purchased the book offers from them. We have a lovely set of Encyclopedias and a set of Dictionaries and Thesaurus from them.
He used to enter their competitions regularly but never won ...... I suppose there was a winner!

It's a shame to see it go but as they say, another one bites the dust
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2010, 01:02 AM

Re: Reader's Digest

Traditional print has been in decline for a while now - most people turn to the web these days for 'instant' opinions and reviews. :-/
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2010, 01:29 AM

I used to love RD, all those tales of exciting adventures and informative things like 'I am John's ear canal' . Sad to see it go
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2010, 07:57 AM

I never read it, although my Dad often did. Always a pity to see a name like that start the slide into history.

It was also a useful magazine. Just the right thickness for jamming under the door in order to stop the breeze blowing it shut.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2010, 12:00 PM

Plug pulled by their American owners.

"The future of Reader's Digest is under threat after the British edition of the magazine went into administration, putting 117 jobs at risk.

The decision was confirmed yesterday after negotiations between the company's U.S. parent group, Reader's Digest Association, and the Pensions Regulator broke down over its UK pension fund."

Take the profits in the good times, run away when the going gets tough the typical American reaction one would expect.

Next to be shafted will be Cadburys.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2010, 01:07 PM

You mean I'm never going to win a prize?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
Plug pulled by their American owners.

"The future of Reader's Digest is under threat after the British edition of the magazine went into administration, putting 117 jobs at risk.

The decision was confirmed yesterday after negotiations between the company's U.S. parent group, Reader's Digest Association, and the Pensions Regulator broke down over its UK pension fund."

Take the profits in the good times, run away when the going gets tough the typical American reaction one would expect.

Next to be shafted will be Cadburys.
Kraft Foods have already sealed their takeover of Cadbury
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2010, 02:14 PM

Exactly Mags and have already started breaking promises.

Glad I prefer Thorntons and Belgium Chocolate.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2010, 04:49 PM

All things come to an end and in my opinion Readers Digest was why out of touch with society today.

Why not read on the internet even though we won't win a prize
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2010, 04:51 PM

I think it was probably The Internet Wot Dunnit too

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top