Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2015, 11:31 PM

Books with accents

Do you like it when authors write speech in novels with accents? I mean, if say the character was a Somerset farmer and " Oo ar , ow bist young un?" type thing, would you say it added to the scene on your mind or is it annoying?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2015, 11:32 PM

Re: Books with accents

It makes it clearer to understand.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2015, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Do you like it when authors write speech in novels with accents? I mean, if say the character was a Somerset farmer and " Oo ar , ow bist young un?" type thing, would you say it added to the scene on your mind or is it annoying?
Depends on how well it's done. Sometimes I like it and sometimes it's annoying!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2015, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Reading 'Bermondsey Boy' (Tommy Steele) at the moment and I love it, full of laughter - so easy to picture the characters too
I think it has to be written well ..........
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2015, 06:36 AM

I think it can give you the area by the accent they speak. Also you could probably see the somerset farmer as you say, in your mind as been dressed in country farmer fashion...
I prefer it as it becomes more interesting..
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2015, 08:40 AM

It can be very helpful in setting the scene for a book and its also why some translations dont work..
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2015, 08:58 AM

I'm afraid it's a complete turn off to me, concentrating on decyphering the dialect just distracts me from the story. Besides, if I am told the story is in the Northeast , Yorkshire, the Southwest or wherever, then I can imagine the local accent without the need to force feed it to me.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2015, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I'm afraid it's a complete turn off to me, concentrating on decyphering the dialect just distracts me from the story. Besides, if I am told the story is in the Northeast , Yorkshire, the Southwest or wherever, then I can imagine the local accent without the need to force feed it to me.
This is true if its strong dialect - it was featured in this book for a short time and I hadn't a clue what was being said
Steven with a V
Cardiff Valleys
Steven with a V is male 

25-06-2015, 01:39 PM

Stella Gibbons' wonderfully satirical novel "Cold Comfort Farm" (1932) sends up the fashion for the romantic use of country talk brilliantly. Great book, great woman!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2015, 02:11 PM

It really depends how well it's written I remember a few books I gave up on due to the way the dialect was written making no sense what so ever, but done well it can add enormously to the atmosphere of a book.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top