Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2015, 12:36 PM

Pommes

Why do the Aussies call us Pommes ?
I know I can google it but prefer the answers here - Pommes is apples I think, so can't get the connection
Were we a rosy cheeked lot back then ....................
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2015, 12:44 PM

Re: Pommes

Perhaps we got sunburnt and resembled apples.
Prisoners of Her Majesty it says, but that spells pohm! :$
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2015, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Perhaps we got sunburnt and resembled apples.
Prisoners of Her Majesty it says, but that spells pohm! :$
I like both yer answers !
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2015, 12:59 PM

Pommes are apples. Poms are what Aussies call Brits. Prisoners of Her Majesty sounds about right.
Sandi
Adelaide, South Australia
Sandi is female  Sandi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2015, 01:38 PM

Can I give you a hint.

The British were called Poms or Pommies because when they arrived in Australia as immigrants, their skin was very fair and their faces were red from the sun, which reminded people of the colour of pomegranates.

The words Pom or Pommy are "largely used in playful or affectionate terms".

The best-documented account is that "Pommy" originated as a contraction of "pomegranate".

Lots say it was because of being convicts but it wasn't. The saying Pom couldn't have been the reason, because in the first arrivals everyone originally was a convict other than the soldiers, sailors and guards.

It was only later when the free settlers arrived that the term Pom/Pommy began.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

22-06-2015, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sandi ->
Can I give you a hint.

The British were called Poms or Pommies because when they arrived in Australia as immigrants, their skin was very fair and their faces were red from the sun, which reminded people of the colour of pomegranates.

The words Pom or Pommy are "largely used in playful or affectionate terms".

The best-documented account is that "Pommy" originated as a contraction of "pomegranate".

Lots say it was because of being convicts but it wasn't. The saying Pom couldn't have been the reason, because in the first arrivals everyone originally was a convict other than the soldiers and guards.

It was only later when the free settlers arrived.
Makes perfect sense
Never thought of pomegranates !
Thank you Sandi - much appreciated - I'm just a curious soul, like to know these quirky things
Sandi
Sandi is female  Sandi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2015, 01:46 PM

You're very welcome Patsy. Can't have you thinking we are bad mannered.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

22-06-2015, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sandi ->
You're very welcome Patsy. Can't have you thinking we are bad mannered.
'giggle' as if .............. No I just wanted to know is all
Sandi

22-06-2015, 01:57 PM

Well, Just for that Patsy I will let you into another secret, just so you know it all.

Australians are not the only ones who called Brits Poms. New Zealanders also call them Poms/Pommy.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

22-06-2015, 02:01 PM

Well I never - fancy that
Have you been there - did think of moving to NZ - everyone says how beautiful it is and hasn't moved on much - suits me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top