Join for free
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2015, 06:50 PM

Books of condolence

There is much on the news today about the young Irish students who died when a balcony collapsed in California yesterday. Books of condolence have been started in various cities and online. No doubt thousands will sign them or leave messages in them, for people they have never known.

I don't want to knock the idea, but it has always seemed a bit strange to me. I tend to think that those who write in these books get more comfort from it than those who receive them. If I suffer a bereavement I may share it with my friends, but I cannot imagine strangers being a part of it, and I cannot ever imagine writing in a public book of condolence for someone I had never met.

What do others think?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2015, 07:05 PM

Re: Books of condolence

Such a terrible tragedy, so young with everything before them, God rest their souls.
I never do the books of condolence signing Ania but the wife always does, I prefer to say a prayer for the deceased.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2015, 07:12 PM

I guess it is almost tradition here, Jem, but have you ever considered asking your wife what her reason is for doing them?
I'm more like you - I'll have a little think or say a little prayer, but only in the privacy of my own home.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2015, 07:25 PM

Well you're absolutely right about the traditional part, I just asked the wife and she said what I knew she'd say, because her Mother and Father always did it.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

17-06-2015, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Well you're absolutely right about the traditional part, I just asked the wife and she said what I knew she'd say, because her Mother and Father always did it.

And they did it because THEIR mothers and fathers did it, no doubt! I'm none the wiser...
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

17-06-2015, 07:31 PM

By the way, thanks for asking her, Jem. I'm sure this is the best way to conduct such research...
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2015, 07:36 PM

I haven't written in books of condolence, but I have sent cards to people who have suffered terrible tragedies. 9/11 I felt compelled to send a card to the American Embassy. I had to express the despair and sadness I felt for them, even although they will never know me. Have done similar for other tragedies. It was anonymous, but I just felt better doing it.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top