Join for free
CritterMum
West Mifflin, United States
CritterMum is female  CritterMum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2010, 07:34 AM

Chewing stage

I adopted my Dutchess when she was 8 wks old, she is 50% Weimaraner (her mama), 25% Labrador Retriever & 25% Terrier (her daddy). I was going to get a senior dog, but friends told me since I had elder cats, it would be best if I adopted a pup. Since I had always adopted senior dogs before, I never had this problem. So now I am starting from scratch.

When do dogs get out of their chewing stage? She has nylabones, which she loves to chew, a couple Kong-brand toys. But, she is into gnawing at the woodframe surrounding the door & my grandmother's table. Everytime I try to buy her a proper dog bed, she chews it to shreds; I cannot afford to buy a new one constantly. I have tried a couple different types of "No Scratch" sprayed on the doorframe & table, with no success.

I would hate to have her put in her crate, when I need to clean elsewhere in the house or laundry. She doesn't stay with me, she wonders through the house. Do you feel that her chewing is due to the breeds in her; is it frustration? I have a large fenced in yard. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2010, 06:48 PM

Re: Chewing stage

It generally depends on the breed/type of dog. Rocky being a bull-breed, still loves to chew

I'd post on www.dogsey.com to get opinions from fellow Weimaraner owners
CritterMum
West Mifflin, United States
CritterMum is female  CritterMum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2010, 07:29 PM

Re: Chewing stage

Thank you for the suggestion Azz. I have posted on Dogsey. Dutchess does not bother the furniture or door frames in the other rooms, just the kitchen. Its frustrating.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top