Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 01:04 PM

Poppies in my garden

A lovely display this year and there's much more to come out. When we first moved here they were so small.

Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 01:29 PM

Re: Poppies in my garden

Loverly but they don't last long enough,i scattered Poppy seeds last year from a single one that flowered in my garden but none have shown any sign of growing.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 01:34 PM

Beautiful ... and though they have a short flowering life you can't beat them. They somehow capture summer for me like no other flower can.
I never have any luck growing the darn things else I'll love a clump.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 01:35 PM

Love poppies and have some in my garden but the recent wind has knocked them around a bit but yours seem to have retained their shape, maursey and still look good.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 01:53 PM

A lovely little crop of Poppies Maursey I love all varieties of Poppies, my house is full of Poppy pictures and i just like to see wild Poppies growing in fields with other wild flowers....
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Love poppies and have some in my garden but the recent wind has knocked them around a bit but yours seem to have retained their shape, maursey and still look good.
Cranberry, they usually last for such a small time but this year they are staying well even though we have had strong winds at times.

Here are the poppies that I painted when they were very small a good few years ago.

mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 04:20 PM

Both the poppies and your painting look great. I haven't got any poppies and could never paint them like that even if I had.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by maursey ->
A lovely display this year and there's much more to come out. When we first moved here they were so small.

I have those in the gardens at work and some at home and Yes, they are eye-catching but they are thugs because they tend to hog all the water and nutrients much like a weed does.

By all means enjoy the display but dig them out and destroy them before they set seed or you will have major problems with your much-loved perennials being starved. stevmk2
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 04:36 PM

And you can paint too! Will you dig them out maursey? I always think a plant is only a thug if it's allowed to become one - a bit like humans, really.

I'll not be digging mine up.
maursey
hertfordshire

10-06-2015, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
And you can paint too! Will you dig them out maursey? I always think a plant is only a thug if it's allowed to become one - a bit like humans, really.

I'll not be digging mine up.
No way Cranberry. I've not had any problems with my Poppies and the other flowering plants.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top