Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2010, 01:57 AM

National bowel cancer screening

I had a letter today to say everyone over 60 will recieve a bowel cancer screening kit, has anyone else had one of these yet?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2010, 02:37 AM

Re: National bowel cancer screening

Wonder how that works then? (Think it's a good idea btw.)
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2010, 10:28 AM

I did one last year. Not an easy or pleasant thing to do, nor any pleasant way of describing the procedure ...but certainly worth the bother.

You have to give 3 samples taken on different days. I found samples were best taken by getting a small amount of poo onto some toilet tissue. Then scraping a very small portion of that up onto one of the cardboard spatulas provided.

The spatulas are peeled from a cardboard backing. Once the sample has been taken, the spatula is then goes back into place on part of the cardboard it came from. It can all be done fairly hygienically with care. Perhaps buy some surgical gloves if the thought taking a sample is off-putting. Repeat for the different days. Once the test is complete, it gets sealed into an envelope and sent back via normal post.

Planning the 'small amount' on the toilet tissue is perhaps the most difficult part. There is no strict time limit on the test though and the samples don't have to be taken on consecutive days, so you can wait for conditions to be right for catching a small amount. I found it best to put the toilet tissue and small amount straight down onto the floor. This gives a solid surface for using the spatula. Maybe more hygienic than putting it on the china-ware and no danger of it falling anywhere.

My test was thankfully clear.

Edit: It might have been longer ago than last year.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2010, 11:23 AM

Thank you Mart for your informative post I wasn't aware there was national screening for bowel cancer until the letter arrived.

A booklet came with the letter telling me a kit would arrive shortly but I haven't read it yet. I'm a bit concerned in case the testing shows anything nasty, I can't stand hospitals and the thought of going near one fills me with horror.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

13-02-2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Wonder how that works then? (Think it's a good idea btw.)
Azz probably best not to ask until it is your turn xx
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2010, 01:25 PM

I also did a home test in March last year and like you Meg, was quite concerned about it.

When the kit arrives, there is a leaflet which explains clearly and with diagrams how to use the kit. It also gives you suggestions how to collect your first sample. The important thing is to remember to have all the things you will need, at hand.

It sounds very daunting but once you have mastered the first sample it is pretty straight forward.

When completed, the kit is put into a prepaid envelope which meets postal regulations.

Results are usually sent back to you within a week.

Good luck with the test Meg ..... remember you are one in millions who are taking it
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2010, 10:48 PM

Wasn't aware of this until my neighbour told me she had got a letter....good luck Meg.........
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

15-02-2010, 11:57 PM

Thanks for the input Mags and Merz
Manxman
Manchester, UK
Manxman is male  Manxman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 02:02 PM

Can I please encourage you all to take this test!

It has come in a bit late for me I am now minus my Bowel/colon, half my liver was removed also some other bits and pieces.

I am just out of hospital (6 months) picked up secondary infections, drain sites (10) wound site and a non reversible stoma.

Better the embarisment of scraping poo for a couple of days than for the rest of your, shortened life.

Please, please, please do the test the BIG C is not fun, catch it early.

I found this site helpful and Lynn together with her Team are wonderful.

http://bowelcancer.tv/cgi-bin/page.pl

Sorry for being a bit heavy.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 03:10 PM

Wish you a speedy recovery MM!

I've had pains in my tummy for about 3 years - the docs can't figure it out. Wonder if I should ask them whether I should do one of these tests?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top