Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2010, 07:32 PM

High Street names that have disappeared

This is like a trip down Memory Lane!

Many of us must have had our favourite shop or one that we were sorry to see disappear years ago. Can you remember them and any special memories of them?

Overseas members, please include your shops too

One of my favourite long gone shops was Bellmans Wool Shop. I must have bought hundreds of skeins of wool in my earlier days - most women used to knit years ago, jumpers, gloves, socks etc. How good it felt to knit in double-knit wool too..... the garment was finished in no time! Sadly it's getting to be a dying art nowadays as I've noticed a lot of children just don't have any interest in learning how to knit at all.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2010, 01:50 AM

Re: High Street names that have disappeared

There used to be 'Peacocks' chain stores (a bit like a poor mans Woolworths ) they were always empty, the wooden floors creaked and they had a funny smell .
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2010, 02:45 PM

We still have a 'posh' Peacocks in the town here and I agree the old stores were slightly past there sell by date.

Another two that have gone are C & A and Littlewoods ...... there were occasions when I would find something quite nice in those stores.

Does anyone remember the men's shop, John Collier with their well known TV jingle "John Collier, John Collier, the window to watch"?

Was it John Collier that was also know as "The Fifty Shilling Tailors" many years ago?
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2010, 04:08 PM

I worked in a Bellmans wool shop as a Saturday girl....Had quite forgotten all about it....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

13-02-2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Moli ->
I worked in a Bellmans wool shop as a Saturday girl....Had quite forgotten all about it....
They used to stock a vast amount of different wools of all colours, didn't they Moli
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2010, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Sadly it's getting to be a dying art nowadays as I've noticed a lot of children just don't have any interest in learning how to knit at all.
I feel that is very sad that girls don't know how to knit, and boys don't know how to make things, I get more and more despondant about the young these days, they are not taught how to cope if things go wrong.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2010, 01:27 PM

Just a few examples of my grand-daughter’s knitting. She is one of the members of the much maligned younger generation so often vilified by the less intelligent older members of society.
She had to come down from university due to mental health problems in the form of moderate to severe OCD and is now pursuing her degree through the Open University.
Her younger sister is at college studying for a diploma in Animal Behavioural Sciences, she is equally talented in her chosen crafts of jewellery making.
The criticism of the young en bloc for the failings of the few is as intelligent as criticising all dog owners because some of them don’t clear up their dogs foul mess.

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

14-02-2010, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
Just a few examples of my grand-daughter’s knitting. She is one of the members of the much maligned younger generation so often vilified by the less intelligent older members of society.
She had to come down from university due to mental health problems in the form of moderate to severe OCD and is now pursuing her degree through the Open University.
Her younger sister is at college studying for a diploma in Animal Behavioural Sciences, she is equally talented in her chosen crafts of jewellery making.
The criticism of the young en bloc for the failings of the few is as intelligent as criticising all dog owners because some of them don’t clear up their dogs foul mess.

No way was I criticising the youngsters of today, VM ..... just stating many youngsters do not have the inclination to learn to knit these days. Unlike years ago when money was short, many mums used to knit clothes for their children (me included)........ there are many more affordable clothes in the shops these days that parents are able to afford. That is why many of the 'proper' wool shops have gone out of business.

Good luck to your grand-daughters...

Anyway, back on topic to shops that have disappeared from our towns
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2010, 04:16 PM

Hepworths ?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

14-02-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
Hepworths ?
Oh yes, that was a well known men's tailors, wasn't it

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top