Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2015, 11:02 PM

Termination

At what age did you terminate formal education, I guess, it was about 14 years old for me, when did you lose interest, and was this enforced, or from choice?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2015, 11:16 PM

Re: Termination

Aha. At last a question from you I understand Spitty!

I left school at 15, couldn't wait.
I wasn't clever enough to go on to college or grammar school, and came bottom of the class in maths and history all my school life.
I can't remember ever really enjoying school. Dad always used to say to me "they're the best years of your life" but I didn't think so, and couldn't wait to get away.

Funny thing about being no good at maths though, later in life I learned how to do all the bookkeeping for our accountant when I was a farmer's wife, made a darn good job of it as well.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2015, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
At what age did you terminate formal education, I guess, it was about 14 years old for me, when did you lose interest, and was this enforced, or from choice?
I think I was about 5years old when I lost interest , the day after I started school I decided it wasn't for me .

I have been learning about life ever since ..
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2015, 04:48 AM

I've never left school - not even now at 72. I started school at three after the war when women were encouraged to return to work and nursery schools were opened, I went from high school to University, then to teach for 45 years and now in retirement I tutor at my U3A. Am I mad or what?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2015, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
Am I mad or what?
Definitely not!

A long time ago I made myself a promise that my education would never stop - that I would learn something new every year. Sometimes it has been practical, sometimes artistic, frequently academic, but I have kept to that promise. It has stood me in good stead as well - as I never had any problem with retraining during my years of service within the NHS.

I just really enjoy the learning processes. Was a bit carried away last year and embarked on two rather intensive courses - ended up putting one on hold until the other was finished so - last year - Clinical Sciences, this year - Forensic Psychology. Fascinating!!
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2015, 06:43 AM

Formal education at 16.
The school I was at was due for closure and the staff were more interested in what would happen to them than to us pupils and just didnt bother.

I got married had children but Ive never stopped learning.. I speak 3 languages , passed my business exams aged 37 and I continue to learn and challenge myself..

Formal education is fine but its not the be all and end all..
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2015, 06:47 AM

I left school at 15yrs i wasn't a big lover of it, it was too big and too many people.. Frightening really!!
My Brother had got me a job lined up at an Engineering company where he worked. He was a Draughtsman and got me a job in an office Punch room Computer department typing invoices and wages.
I must admit i learnt a lot more after school than in school from having disruptive classrooms where boys were playing up to the teachers all the time...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2015, 07:07 AM

I started school aged 4 and left after sitting my GCE exams at 16. Started work in an accounts offiice one week later. I enjoyed my school days.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2015, 07:14 AM

Is there a limit to how much stuff you can cram in, or, as you learn more, do you have to sacrifice other stuff.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2015, 07:15 AM

My last formal education was when I was awarded my M.A. Degree by research in the 1980's. Like many others, though, I don't feel my education will stop until I take in my last breath. I love learning and am never more excited than when I am researching and extending my knowledge. My latest projects, for example, involve learning about and researching the history of London, and the history of our canal system.

@Spitfire -
Is there a limit to how much stuff you can cram in, or, as you learn more, do you have to sacrifice other stuff.
I don't think there's any limit - I think most people only use a tiny proportion of their brain capacity, so there is plenty of filing space to go round.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top