Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 05:18 PM

From each according to his ability

“From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs" is a quote from Karl Marx has this now become "From each according to their ability, to each according to their greed"?
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 05:27 PM

Re: From each according to his ability

I do think there are a lot of greedy people out there, but many of them are trying to keep up with the Jones. I've never been like that. Wouldn't want to be.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
“From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs" is a quote from Karl Marx has this now become "From each according to their ability, to each according to their greed"?
Sadly, I think you are right, VM.
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 06:57 PM

Twas the embodiment of Britishness !
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 07:34 PM

Not only are many people more greedy. they are also less empathic and compassionate and more judgemental. I think that's far worse.
Uff
Scotland
Uff is female  Uff has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 08:39 PM

Could be that people are more ambitious these days, have more get up and go rather than waiting until things or events drop into their lap.
Markey1
London
Markey1 is male  Markey1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2015, 01:31 PM

In it just human nature to be greedy given the chance , if a offer of a large amount of money was offered to you , would you refuse it , I wouldn't
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2015, 01:46 PM

Accepting a large amount of money when offered is not greedy. Seeking to make even more money on top of that is.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2015, 03:28 PM

I suppose it would depend, if you inherited a sum of money and started a business you would be wanting to make money in the business, plus you would be employing others so that's good.
There is nothing wrong with making money legitimately and paying your taxes etc.

As for greed, it's one of the less attractive human traits but it's been around a long time.

I don't want to waste the rest of my life concentrating on the negative aspects of others, there is a choice, to see what is good or to see what is not so good and I think it's less negative to see what is good while being nobody's fool at the same time.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2015, 03:48 PM

Only my own view ... but it strikes me the more you have to lose the more you worry about losing it.

So I figure half of us hanker after more (for security? peace of mind?) ... and the other half of us lie awake at night fearing poverty and losing it.

Life's a bit of a bummer really when you look at it like that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top