Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 10:34 AM

No job for unfit police officers!

Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe: No job for unfit police officers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-32968182

Seems like a good idea to me. How can you run after a villain if you are overweight? Do yourself an injury or have a heart attack from the exertion and adrenalin rush more than likely. Good role models for people in the community.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 10:37 AM

Re: No job for unfit police officers!

Certainly on the front line you need to be fit but there are hundreds of jobs where it really won't matter too much. So perhaps instead they could be moved out off the front line and helped back to fitness ?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Certainly on the front line you need to be fit but there are hundreds of jobs where it really won't matter too much. So perhaps instead they could be moved out off the front line and helped back to fitness ?
Good point. Not sure how it works really. When you join the police force I suppose you join it to carry out a certain type of job? Could you be moved to desk duty from the front line or vice versa at any time? Dunno. Join the police force and get fit I suppose in a similar way to joining the army. I think everyone has to do some form of physical exercise in the army don't they?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 11:16 AM

Well not everyone some of the top brass would struggle I think, and a lot of civilian workers in the army are not too fit either.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 11:43 AM

So now it’s coming to pass, I thought it might out in a few years time but it seems it's upon already. I mentioned a few years ago this type of thing was bound to happen in the security forces with overweight becoming the norm, soon they won’t be able to recruit young fit normal weight people. That’s one of the main reasons the American military are trying so hard to perfect the robot soldier, overweight soldiers are a big problem in the security stakes.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

02-06-2015, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
That’s one of the main reasons the American military are trying so hard to perfect the robot soldier, overweight soldiers are a big problem in the security stakes.
Yeah, and one of the contributing factors is the amount of steak they eat over there.

Plant based diet FTW (For The Win) .
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 12:00 PM

[QUOTE=MKJ;660222]Yeah, and one of the contributing factors is the amount of steak they eat over there.

Don't forget the dozen pancakes drowned in syrup for breakfast, and all the cartons of doughnuts they demolish at the cop shops.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

02-06-2015, 12:22 PM

It's surprising you would imagine for their own safety they would want to be fit to do the job. You rarely see an unfit fireman or life boat person. They seem to value their lives more perhaps ?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 01:55 PM

Wobbly coppers trying to run doesn't inspire much faith does it.
I'd have thought any job that was physically demanding would automatically entail a stiff medical. For their own sake as much as their ability to do the job.

Anyone remember that old TV series Cannon?
I was always amazed when he went jogging off chasing a criminal ..
And yet .. he always managed catch his man
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Wobbly coppers trying to run doesn't inspire much faith does it.
I'd have thought any job that was physically demanding would automatically entail a stiff medical. For their own sake as much as their ability to do the job.

Anyone remember that old TV series Cannon?
I was always amazed when he went jogging off chasing a criminal ..
And yet .. he always managed catch his man

Made me laugh - always watched 'Cannon' Gawd knows why

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top