Join for free
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 07:42 AM

Any Old Iron?

I went to a regeneration area, in the local city yesterday, where there has been much "New Build" of Social Housing, everywhere I looked, the garden areas were bordered with metal railings, tons of the stuff, then I saw the foreign chappy in his old van, collecting scrap metal, old bicycles, washing machines etc, if metal is in short supply, why so many railings?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 08:22 AM

Re: Any Old Iron?

To keep the residents in,or the spittys out who knows. Entrepreneurial foreign chap wont mind either way.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I went to a regeneration area, in the local city yesterday, where there has been much "New Build" of Social Housing, everywhere I looked, the garden areas were bordered with metal railings, tons of the stuff, then I saw the foreign chappy in his old van, collecting scrap metal, old bicycles, washing machines etc, if metal is in short supply, why so many railings?
Well if business is slow he knows where to go now ... with an hacksaw .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 10:00 AM

Saw a docu last night about guys collecting scrap metal - they don't get much, but its food on the table ................
I wonder why the gardens are bordered with metal railings too
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 11:46 AM

One place I pass through, there is a guy collecting small scrap metal items in what looks like an Asda shopping trolley.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 12:29 PM

why so many railings?
They last longer and need less maintenance than fences, perhaps.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 02:08 PM

We went to weigh in some old wrought iron fences and a bed head and a few old metal tubs, you had to get out of your van, then they weighed it and then you drove round to an area to dump your stuff, then you drove back round to the office and they just gave us £29 for the lot! not much really for the effort and weight.. It seems to be Copper what their after as it brings more money!!

The metal fences Spitty, i think they are to make them look more modern rather than the wooden gate and fence that used to be..
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 07:56 PM

We have those metal railings around the garden in our house, mine is mostly hidden inside the high hedge now but still visible at the front of the house, a few weeks ago I looked out the top window and saw this chap with a hacksaw sawing up the railings, I didn't say anything to him in case he'd take a fence.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top