Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 05:48 PM

An appointment with the doctor.

I collected my medicines from the chemist and found a note which asked me to make an appointment with the doctor for a medication review prior to my next prescription.

I had wanted to speak about changing my medication so this was a good excuse.
I rung the surgery and asked for an appointment to which the woman replied saying they had no vacancies.

"I'm in no hurry. I don't mind when it is only the Doctor wants to see me about my medication"

Assistant...."Sorry we have nothing for two weeks. We only book two weeks at a time."

ME...."But the doctor wants to see me, how do I go about seeing her?"

Assistant. "You can ring before eight oclock in the morning then you will be able to get booked in."

So the next three mornings I rung and each time I was told by the automated system after my tapping my name and date of birth etc that there were no vacancies.

Next day I went to the surgery and asked if I could speak to a doctor. She looked in her book and told me I would have to wait for a week before the doctor could talk to me.

How frustrating.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 06:47 PM

Re: An appointment with the doctor.

Very frustrating Maureen, but very common in lots of surgeries. The gp tells you one thing, the receptionist the other.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 07:27 PM

Yes this is on my annoyance list of things we had a few weeks ago...

It happen's all the time and it's so infuriating! I would go back and say you need to speak to a doctor urgently as you need advise over your medication and need to see him? It's the only way to do it, ok it might be a white lie but they may get you in sooner..
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 07:30 PM

Tell the receptionist you need a house call. It's amazing how they manage to fit you at the surgery when you say that.......
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 07:37 PM

Receptionists are employed to keep patients from seeing their GP. It makes them feel important.
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Myra ->
Tell the receptionist you need a house call. It's amazing how they manage to fit you at the surgery when you say that.......
I may do that..
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Receptionists are employed to keep patients from seeing their GP. It makes them feel important.
What a strange and inaccurate statement.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 10:25 PM

I do sometimes wonder if they even like their jobs, because a happy, welcoming receptionist is almost as rare as hens teeth.

No doubt some patients get on their wick, but if that is so, why do that sort of work in the first place?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 10:29 PM

Seems reasonably correct statement to me, husband was supposed to have several appointments after his op with his GP surgery they finally managed to fit him in to remove the stitches then discovered he didn't have any. Well if they had seen him as requested they would have known that wouldn't they. Receptionist only reacted when I said if he falls and hurts himself I will personally hold you responsible last week when she finally found him an appointment his BP was so low they sent him to A & E who sent him back to the GP - he has finally got an appointment tomorrow since I sat in reception and refused to move unless they gave him one tonight.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 11:50 AM

Yep I have a receptionist who regularly decides that the patient doesnt need a doctor and tells people to take asprin or just go to bed..

I wont tell her why I want an appointment anymore I just say its private and a standard appointment is long enough.

She has messed up so often with referral letters sent out weeks late and is so rude I just wonder what joy she gets from her work..

On the other end of the scale my dentists have a wonderful team who give great advice and will try their very best to get an appointment that suits the patient.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top