Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 07:23 AM

behind the scenes

Was wondering , does anyone really know what goes on behind the scenes in the crematorium ?

If moderators are unhappy with this question please do delete I don't wish to hurt or offend anyone .
Sableline
Durham,uk
Sableline is male  Sableline has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 07:32 AM

Re: behind the scenes

The coffin containing the deceased goes into an oven and is cremated with severe heat. Any bones that are left go into a machine and crushed to powder. So I believe.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 08:21 AM

As with other things like an abattoir, I prefer not to look to closely at what goes on behind the scenes
They are a necessity to some , that is all I need to know really
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 09:21 AM

I've been into our crem as a child they did a walk around when I was about 10, I doubt it has changed much since. They treat the body with great dignity, all the metal or plastic off the coffin is removed and then the body is slipped into the oven. Huge temperatures are used to completely disintegrate the body and then the ashes are sifted and the bones are crushed to dust. All then put into an urn and still with dignity labelled and put aside to cool.

It's a fascinating tour, sadly they don't do it any more parents complained it wasn't right for kids to see but it actually made me feel better about it all so I can't see what the fuss was about.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I've been into our crem as a child they did a walk around when I was about 10, I doubt it has changed much since. They treat the body with great dignity, all the metal or plastic off the coffin is removed and then the body is slipped into the oven. Huge temperatures are used to completely disintegrate the body and then the ashes are sifted and the bones are crushed to dust. All then put into an urn and still with dignity labelled and put aside to cool.

It's a fascinating tour, sadly they don't do it any more parents complained it wasn't right for kids to see but it actually made me feel better about it all so I can't see what the fuss was about.

That's madness. If parents say "its not right for kids to see", why the 'eck do they take 'em in the first place?
If they don't want their kids to see - leave them at home, simple, but they shouldn't try to get it stopped for those who would like to know.

Personally, I wouldn't want to go, but I wouldn't complain about those that do.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 11:32 AM

Happens a lot though doesn't it one parent complains and suddenly all children are stopped from doing something. I enjoyed the tour, was fascinating and not gruesome at all. Obviously not all children would like it but that's for a parent to know their child and keep them safe from what would worry them instead they stop everyone else seeing it.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 01:41 PM

I've organised and paid for My Cremation when the time comes,but no-way did I ask for a tour while I was there,eek!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 01:45 PM

I can't help but feel what a waste of money for an expensive coffin. Seems pointless, surely?
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Myra ->
I can't help but feel what a waste of money for an expensive coffin. Seems pointless, surely?
It's also a waste of money to buy an expensive coffin to be buried.
I have told my wife to get a cheap one for me, some are made of cardboard now.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
It's also a waste of money to buy an expensive coffin to be buried.
I have told my wife to get a cheap one for me, some are made of cardboard now.
Yes that's true about the cardboard coffin's, i think they do them in a basket weave too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top