Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 11:53 AM

Falls

Over a lifetime we probably have our fair share of falls, some no doubt will provide comedy moments for outside observers, or acute embarrassment for ourselves.

As we age a fall can have more serious consequences for our health, i used to bounce when i was more flexible, but tread more carefully these days.

My last fall involved me going unconscious, waking up with a crowd of nurses around me, a cartoon lump on my head and a back injury that plagues me still. The hospital had tried to send me home too soon, i ended up spending another week in dock.

Had many during my working years, one such was on a farm, up a ladder when a herd of cows decided it was a good place for a back scratch, i well and truly landed in it that day.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 12:39 PM

Re: Falls

Phew Nom - its a wonder you're still here !

The worst fall I had was on a step ladder, I disliked this ladder, never felt safe on it. I was stretching up on it when it started to shake and off I went - backwards ! I had a pot of paint in me hand landing on me back holding the can up in the air, I never spilt a drop ! I was lucky though, just missed the coffee table edge by an inch !
I've never been the same since, must have done some damage that fall.
billclay
west Yorkshire
billclay is male  billclay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 12:53 PM

I was decorating the bathroom and fell off the stepladder and landed on the edge of the bath bruising my ribs, very painful, it took me six weeks before getting back to normal.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 01:05 PM

Funny how when we are young we 'fall over ' and once past 50 we 'have a fall' just a small thing but an age indicator..

As for me I dont even need to stand on anything to fall.. I have low BP and getting up with a rush can cause me to black out.. The last one was in the bathroom, middle of the night needing a wee I jumped out of bed and ran to the loo but never made it. I went down hitting my head on the wash basin as I went.. Ceramics are very unforgiving and I was very sore next day..
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 01:13 PM

Ouch is all I can see reading the above messages, Cass that sounded nasty.

I had a nasty fall, about 5 years ago, I had just been to collect my bike that had been in for a new tyres, I peddled off and came to a place where I mount the curb, get off and walk over the crossing, never thinking that the tyres were so hard when I hit the curb I bounced back and was thrown, I lay there for a few minutes making sure nothing was broke. Nasty black hip for a couple of weeks after that,!!!!!!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 01:38 PM

Feel for you all - I get a lot of dizzy spells so prone to bumps and falls,
now I am very aware of that possibility and so very careful .......
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 02:02 PM

I have taken the odd tumble over the years but I did learn a lesson in 2008. We were in India and we decided to dance-so far so good until I decided to try some `steps` from my youth. It was OK until I tried the `leap`-up I went and on landing I felt a snap -whoops one ruptured Achilles` tendon. I limped around for the next 10 days before flying home to surgery and 6 weeks in a `pot`
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 02:12 PM

A few years ago, while out walking, I was crossing over a ditch on a plank when I overbalanced. I put my hands out to break my fall and jarred my shoulder. It took about 2 years for the effects of that to go away.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 02:21 PM

Since I have had MS I seem to spend more time getting up from the floor than walking one thing I learned early on was just fall, don't try to save yourself I had more injuries to wrists and shoulders etc saving myself than I ever did just hitting the floor.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 02:49 PM

Just written about having a fall earlier in the daily tread in response to BowieEyes post.

I overbalanced in the field last week and ended up in the sheep muck I still have a sore hip to prove it.

I would guess for some of us a deterioration in our sight may have something to do with falls . I know it does in my case, it has made me more clumsy as the perception of distance changes with the removal of my reading glasses.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top