Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 05:03 PM

Ever been 'Hopping'

I went a couple of times with Nan - its where us hard up folks would go to Kent and pick hops for yer beer.
It was our holiday back then - hard work - green hands and a bed of straw - loverly ................
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 05:09 PM

Re: Ever been 'Hopping'

No hops in my neck of the woods, tattie picking was a must for us entrepreneurial yoofs, few pence and a bad back all in a days graft.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 05:10 PM

My foster mum did that for years, she must have had a good back !
Lovely tan too ...................
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 07:27 PM

It was pea picking up our way, and strawberry picking where I ate more than I picked and made myself sick.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 07:28 PM

No Patsy but we do have hops around here just over the border in Herefordshire . They and are picked mainly by machine these days.

I have read stories about the hop pickers in London who years ago spent their summer holidays 'hopping' in Kent
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 07:37 PM

I'm not sure if we have hops here or not, if they require a lot of Sun then we ain't ever gonna have 'em, but all the kids off our street used to go fruit picking to the big fruit farms outside the city, a big open back lorry would collect us at 7am and take us there, then back again at 4.30, it was hard graft but you could make a few bob while it lasted. It never done any of us kids any harm, quite the opposite, you learned you don't get anything for nothing in this world.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

15-05-2015, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I'm not sure if we have hops here or not, if they require a lot of Sun then we ain't ever gonna have 'em, but all the kids off our street used to go fruit picking to the big fruit farms outside the city, a big open back lorry would collect us at 7am and take us there, then back again at 4.30, it was hard graft but you could make a few bob while it lasted. It never done any of us kids any harm, quite the opposite, you learned you don't get anything for nothing in this world.

So right - always believed every child should be given some responsibility, sets them up for the future .........
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 08:43 PM

Yes was our family holiday down to Kent for a week then along to Sussex to celebrate my Great Aunt's birthday.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 10:26 PM

my family went to kent to pick hops ,not sure if i was there or just heard stories about it ;;my aunts uncle all went and neighbors i was told ' think they all had great weekends ....and got paid ...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

15-05-2015, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by toffee ->
my family went to kent to pick hops ,not sure if i was there or just heard stories about it ;;my aunts uncle all went and neighbors i was told ' think they all had great weekends ....and got paid ...
That's right gal - they had a jolly ol time down in Kent

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top