Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 09:08 AM

Avocados

I've never tried one !
Just read how good they are for you - what are they akin to
You don't eat that big thing in the middle - do you ?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 09:11 AM

Re: Avocados

Like you Patsy, I've never tried one either
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I've never tried one !
Just read how good they are for you - what are they akin to
You don't eat that big thing in the middle - do you ?
I love them , hard to describe their taste, very good for you and now is a good time for them , they are in the shops, plentiful and inexpensive.The hard thing in the middle is the stone, don"t eat that, whatever you do. try and enjoy.I sprinkle a little vinegar and oil on mine .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
I love them , hard to describe their taste, very good for you and now is a good time for them , they are in the shops, plentiful and inexpensive.The hard thing in the middle is the stone, don"t eat that, whatever you do. try and enjoy.I sprinkle a little vinegar and oil on mine .
Ugh ! Vinegar !
I thought it was a fruit !
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 10:25 AM

I love avocados, and I could eat them in vast quantities. Here's an easy way to eat them.

Run a sharp knife around one, along its length, a bit like you would cut a hard boiled egg in half, but just go in as far as the hard stone in the middle.
Hold each half and twist them against each other, same as unscrewing a jar.
Pull them apart and dig out the stone with the tip of the knife
Eat the flesh with a teaspoon.

As you might expect, they're hard when not quite ripe, softer when ripe, and very soft when they've gone too far, and the flesh starts to turn grey. Give them a squeeze, what you want is a certain amount of give or softness without it squashing completely. You'll soon get the hang of it.

You can serve the flesh with prawns & dressing - just put them in the hole, or turn it into a dip, the best known being guacamole.

However, my wife can't stand them, she says the flesh is slimy and it's like eating soap. Each to their own.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

15-05-2015, 10:37 AM

Oooer - not for me Geoff
Thank you for the info - big help ........
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 01:25 PM

A ripe avocado is pure bliss to eat-a hard one can lead to OG being a bit sarky.

1-OG is served a hard one at some mexican eating place. How is the starter Sir?-No idea could you fetch me a pneumatic drill rather than a knife?

2-OG is served a hard one in Italy.. OG says in perfect Italian-this avocado is not mature-Waiter says ah,under ripe? OG mutters why did I bother to learn Italian?
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Ugh ! Vinegar !
I thought it was a fruit !
It is, but it's not sweet. Tomatoes are a fruit as well but they're tangy and acidic. Avocados, however, are not. They're wonderful, but I really can't compare their taste to anything specific. If you've ever had guacamole, that's avocado.

I can eat them right out of the shell, but I prefer them sliced onto salads, on sandwiches, in pitas and, of course, in the form of a dip for tortilla chips. I eat them often, just picked a couple more up yesterday. And yes, they're very healthy for you. Full of good fats. Avocado, they say, can help raise good cholesterol and lower the bad. And I believe it. Since I started eating avocados on a regular basis, my HDL cholesterol levels have gone up, which is a good thing.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 03:06 PM

Years ago, when the Labour Party still had their annual conference at Blackpool, Neil Kinnock, John Prescott, Roy Hattersley and the Public Relations Officer went off with a load of journalists to a fish & chip shop for a Working Class Experience.

They placed their orders for fish & chips, meat pies and so on. The PR officer pointed to the mushy peas and said' ...and some of that avocado mousse, please.'
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 03:23 PM

Avocado's are brilliant with prawns. As described slice around the inside pip and then twist the two halves apart. If you then wash the stone, place three cocktail sticks at regular intervals around the stone so you have a tri holding for the stone place over a glass of water and place on a windowcill after a while if you keep the water level up and the stone is ripe it will split and start to grow. You can then after a while when the shoots are coming up pot it and before you know it if you protect from any frost or cold you will soon have an avocado tree! I have grown a couple in the past and then lost them before they were big enough to pot onto bigger posts.

In the meantime enjoy the actual fruit of the avocado with prawns is beautiful.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top