Join for free
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 07:06 PM

The "spider" letters

I refer to the letters written by Prince Char!es to the then Labour government.

It's taken the Guardian ten years battle to get to this point where these (in)famous letters are to be published.

Are you interested in the issues which so concerned him?

I've read a few extracts online, and actually far from the way the media has always portrayed him as a meddling embarrassment, he shows real concerns about the stranglehold of supermarkets for instance, and defence cuts....

Prince Charles's private letters published - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32726099
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 07:22 PM

Re: The "spider" letters

Like anyone else Prince Charles is free to express his opinion to MPs, they don't have to act upon them .

He does of course mention issues which affect him personally including to name a few TB in livestock (he is a farmer), the under resourcing of the armed forces (he is Colonel-in-Chief of a number of regiments) and complementary medicine.

While I defend his right to do this I don't think any more credence should be given to his views than that afforded to other citizen of this country who contact their MPs with concerns .
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 08:13 PM

As far as I'm concerned Charles is a hypocrite. A couple of years ago, a 55 acre site of prime farmland was sold by the Duchy of Cornwall in the Tregurra Valley near Truro for an out of town supermarket, a car park and housing estate. This went ahead despite all the protests from the farmer who tenanted the farm, which got shrunk and a great many local protesters.

As a business man it's his right to dispose of his property as he, or his managers, see fit but please let him not pretend otherwise.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 09:25 PM

I was very disappointed they were allowed to see the letters some of them were written from him as the leader of various military regiments and should have remained private IMO. Why do we always tell the enemy about our short comings like this ? don't hear other countries telling all and sundry they are lacking equipment etc

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top