Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2015, 01:49 PM

Limp around the Lakeside.

Been a while since ive visited the lake, so today i had a slow limp around to check how things are going.

Stopped briefly to take a pic of one our famous sons cottage.

A cacophony of alarm calls alerted me to a possible predator, Magpies, Stormcocks, and even a Great spotted woodpecker were on alert in the woodland surrounding an area, however whatever it was never showed.

The butterfly meadow and surrounds had plenty singing wren, blackcap, and willow warbler, a possible garden warbler was also singing, without seeing it i cant be sure.

Garden Warbler.

Plenty Hirundines hawked over the lake, with Swallow, Sand, and House Martins, joined by my first batch of Swifts, all low at first but as the clouds lifted hunting at higher levels...........

Over 20 Common tern from a nearby breeding site quartered the lake in search of a fishy morsel.

Bit sad to see the Alpha pair of Great-crested grebes have seemed to have abandoned their attempt to breed this year, dog walkers and so called wildlife photographers have disturbed them often. Such a shame as this pair have for over a decade raised many broods.

Good news is the younger pair on the small lake after failing in their first attempt have now taken over a coots nest, and have 2 eggs.

Not sure if i will have many more chances of getting back down to the lake, ive had many wonderful days over the years
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2015, 02:00 PM

Re: Limp around the Lakeside.

Great photos as usual Nom, long may you continue taking them.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2015, 02:11 PM

It's good to see you managed to visit the lake and capture more great pictures, Nom.

I sincerely hope you have your foot looked at very soon and are given the necessary treatment for it.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2015, 02:51 PM

Lovely photos as usual
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2015, 03:27 PM

Yes, lovely photos indeed!
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2015, 03:39 PM

Enjoyed the beautiful photos.
I used to do quite a bit of bird watching.
House Martins nest in the eves every year here, they make a mess but I clean up often after them lol.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2015, 03:58 PM

Lovely photographs Nom I hope you are taking care of that foot so we can have lots more...
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 05:56 AM

Thanks everyone, it feels like an end to an era with the older pair of grebes ive watched for years.

In fact not many species have nested here and no youngsters so far,the Mute swan has been sitting far beyond the normal hatch time

May just be the cold weather delaying things
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 09:44 AM

Great Nom and love the Titles and commentary makes the viewing so much more enjoyable!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Thanks everyone, it feels like an end to an era with the older pair of grebes ive watched for years.

In fact not many species have nested here and no youngsters so far,the Mute swan has been sitting far beyond the normal hatch time

May just be the cold weather delaying things

Do you know for sure her eggs are still under her? Could a rat have pinched them?

I know its obviously very different in the wild, but I used to candle my eggs after a week - ten days, because if my birds were sitting on duff eggs, they would still sit there, and sit there, until they got so thin and out of condition, and all for nothing. If they weren't fertile, I could quickly give her some different ones to look after while she was still in the mood.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top