Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2010, 08:28 PM

Looking for a friend

I have a very good friend who is looking for a collie bitch probably around 5 or six years old who is retiring from being a work dog.

He lives in the Fleetwood area and wonders where he can find such an animal. He and his wife are lovely people and he has had dogs before and now he is comfortably retired would like to have another collie for a friend.

Can anyone give us an idea of a good place to contact to find a collie that needs a home.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2010, 08:36 PM

Re: Looking for a friend

You would be better having a look on Dogsey...few for rehoming on there...
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2010, 08:47 PM

Thanks I will I have just found a brilliant site for overlooked oldies the site has many older dogs or dogs with special needs.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2010, 11:13 PM

If you don't find anything on the site, I will have a look at work for tel. nos. of Collie rescues in the Fleetwood area - just let me know
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2010, 02:22 PM

I hope you find one, there are so many collies needing homes. There are a lot brought over from Ireland for rehoming.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

04-02-2010, 02:47 PM

He has found a web site dealing with dogs from Ireland. He thought that there would be more older around my area but a lot of the dogs he has seen have been in the south.

There are a lot fo greyhounds and ex-police dogs too that I have found all these lovely intelligent animals looking for a bit of love in their later years. Bit like all of us I suppose.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2010, 06:16 PM

You lot are lovely--I`m a cat person but I do know `retiring ` working dogs also need loving homes.

Collies might need a more experienced owner as they are so used to rounding up-I know as my neighbour has a couple and they can be quite `assertive` -not with me though,a look,a growl and only then a cuddle.

And ex racing greyhounds are gorgeous.

Puppies and kittens are adorable but older ones also need homes
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

04-02-2010, 08:09 PM

Mel, my friend has had a Collie before, I must tell you this as although it wasn't funny at the time we often talk about it.

Years ago my husband used to work for Mel and every Friday we would pop in to give him our paperwork for jobs done during the week. One evening I told Mel that I could smell something burning. His reply made us stare, 'It's the dog she keeps setting fire to herself when she brushes past the calor gas heater' and with that he rushed off to 'put the dog out' The dog was really old and could hardly see and she just kept going to close to the heater, bless her. In the end Mel just stopped using the heater and all was well.

When his dog died he was heartbroken and couldn't bring himself to get another dog. Recently he has moved close to the beach and says that just to make his walks perfect he needs a four footed friend.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2010, 08:16 PM

When his dog died he was heartbroken and couldn't bring himself to get another dog.

Hearts are amazing,not just a pump but a place that has room for those now gone and room to find a place to love others
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

04-02-2010, 08:22 PM

That's a lovely sentiment Og and until I got a dog of my own I didn't understand the way those dogs, cats and birds can really get under your skin. I love my dog so much and I realise that I am 100% responsible for his health and safey rather like a small child.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top