Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
DerekP
Leeds, United Kingdom
DerekP is male  DerekP has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2015, 12:19 PM

I've found a million pounds

Reading Mups's post about the dumped parcels got me wondering what I would do if I stumbled upon a sack full of cash in a ditch somewhere. A life changing amount. 50 years ago, when I was a teenager, I would have taken it straight round to the police station (as I did when I found a wallet in a phone booth). But would I do that now? You don't simply "lose" a sack full of dosh like you might a wallet so it has clearly been put there for a reason. Is it the proceeds from a bank job? Is it drug proceeds, prostitution, people trafficking. Whatever it is it's very likely been got dishonestly. Will my conscience let me take it and keep it? After all, it's hardly been lost by some poor old person taking it to pay their gas bill and I know that my gas bill is long overdue. If I keep it will I always be looking over my shoulder in case the real owner finds out I have it? If I hand it in can I trust the police to do the right thing with it? What a dilemma. Maybe I should just ignore it and walk on by. What would you do?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2015, 12:25 PM

Re: I've found a million pounds

Its not mine i would give it to the police, might hang on for a while to see if there is a reward posted for finding it, but even if its the proceeds of crime its not mine to keep. Maybe thats the reason ive got nowt.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2015, 12:36 PM

Ooo - what a great question .................... I don't know !
I'd be tempted for sure - but I know I'd hand it in - in the end, I would look at it for a few hours first
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2015, 01:19 PM

I'd probably touch it, feel it, smell it, and dream - then hand it in.

Wouldn't want to live life looking over my shoulder.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2015, 01:29 PM

I think the best thing to do if you wanted peace of mind would be to hand it in, after all what you never had you'll never miss.
Most likely it would be ill gotten money and as me granny would say, "You wouldn't have an hours luck with it"
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2015, 01:40 PM

Interesting question but it may have been taken from people who cannot live without it so I think I would have to hand it in. Although if I got the same response I did when I handed in what turned out to be a stolen hand bag I might think twice, thought for a while they were going to arrest me
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2015, 03:22 PM

I once found a purse on a bus containg over £300. I found it where a couple of elderly ladies had been sat. I handed it in to the driver but I've often wondered if he handed it in or did he keep it for himself. I never did get a thank you.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2015, 03:22 PM

I would count it first to make sure it was a million

I would definitely hand it in, I don't think I could cope with knowing I had 'stolen' that much money.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2015, 03:27 PM

I haven't stolen a penny before, so there is no way I could steal any more than that. Yes, it would be the answer to all your dreams, well most of them, but it wouldn't be the answer to the sleepless nights you'd have with a guilty conscience afterwards.

It wasn't anywhere near a million, but a few years ago we came across thousands upon thousands of pounds which belonged to someone who had died. We had it in our possession in my home, but we got in touch with the family of the person who had died and gave it to them. They were absolutely gobsmacked as they had no idea. It was a sort of rags to riches experience and it was the most wonderful thing to give it to the rightful owners. Like it should be.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2015, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I once found a purse on a bus containg over £300. I found it where a couple of elderly ladies had been sat. I handed it in to the driver but I've often wondered if he handed it in or did he keep it for himself. I never did get a thank you.
That's a bit mean, when my husband found £150 the gentleman who had lost it sent him an expensive bottle of wine as a thank you. Sadly we don't drink so it was wasted on us but the thought was nice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top