Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2015, 11:16 PM

Funny old day

We ought to have a 'Funny old day' thread, where we can say if we've had a hectic or annoying day.

Today, I thought I wanted to just pop out for half an hour, but I ended up being gone for the whole afternoon.
I had got 3 good dog beds I didn't need, and thought I would give them to the local animal rescue. On the way home I wanted to stop off at Wilko's and buy a new watering can.

I was driving along and became aware there was an odd noise somewhere. It speeded up when I did, and slowed when I did, so I thought it was something stuck on a wheel.
Turned out, one back wheel was as flat as a pancake. I reached for my mobile phone to get help, and realised I'd left it at home! I limped very slowly back down the road to the village garage, but they didn't sell tyres. They tried blowing it up for me, but the air was coming out faster than they were putting it in, and they discovered a big hole about and inch & half long in the tread. Great!
They let me use their office phone to ring my breakdown insurers, who came out about an hour later. They rang 3 different places for me, but none of them had the right size tyre. I was pretty fed up by then. The stupid thing is, because of the manufacturers 'progressive ideas,' they make a lot of the newer cars now, without a spare wheel, how b****y stupid is that!
In the end, this nice repair man managed to plug the tear with lots of stuff, and said he would follow me to the garage I bought the car from, to get a new tyre put on. Bless his heart, he came right to the door with me, and even came in and explained to the garage bloke what had happened, and made sure they had the right tyre before he left me.
The mechanics were busy for a while, so after about another hour or so, they finally came and told me my car was ready.

An expensive and wasteful day, when all I wanted was to give some dog beds away and buy a watering can!!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2015, 11:18 PM

Re: Funny old day

I stayed in.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2015, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I stayed in.

Wish I had.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2015, 11:23 PM

What a nuisance Mups we had a flat tyre on the way back from Ragley Hall last summer with the three little ones in the car. It was my DILs car and my son was not familiar with it .It had a strange kind of tyre you had to blow up yourself then we crawled along at 20mph. A nightmare, so much for progress .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

14-04-2015, 11:29 PM

That sounds like this one Meg. They give you a tiny compressor thingy, and a container of gunk to squirt in, but you still have to buy a new tyre afterwards, PLUS a new can of gunk, which I found out today is over £60!
It was such a big tear, not just a hole like from a nail or similar. I even wondered if someone had slashed it, but the garage said no, because they would have slashed the outside of the tyre, not the inside edge of the tread.
I can't understand why I was unaware of it, the car drove and steered perfectly. I don't recall hitting a pot-hole or running over anything at all.
It was really weird.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2015, 08:33 AM

How annoying Mups, and all because you were trying to be kind !
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2015, 08:56 AM

What a day for you Mups. At least everything turned out well
at the end even if you had to suffer to get to that point.
Your point about new cars not having a spare tyre triggered a
report I had seen a few weeks ago about it.
One poor woman was like you and had a puncture on her new car.
She went to the boot and found she hadn't got a spare. She said
she had not realised as it was just a thing you got with your new cars.
She then decided to go back to the garage she bought it from. She
had sold her old car to them. She then demanded her spare tyre out of
the old car to be put on her new car. They had to do it as she was
going to cause a big stir if they hadn't.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

15-04-2015, 09:17 AM

I was going to purchase a spare wheel myself, and keep it in the boot, so while I was waiting for them to fit the new tyre I asked the chap for a price.
I nearly fell off my chair!
It was over £300. The reason for this was because I had no tyre at present, it meant I also had no tools for it. So it wasn't a case of just buying a wheel like I thought, I would have had to buy the wheel, the tools for changing a wheel, a box to keep the tools in, and something else (which I've forgotten now). Then he also said because the car was not designed to carry a spare, there was not room under the boot floor to put a spare anyway!!
He said lots of people were complaining. Apparently even the latest BMW's are the same!
Progress my foot!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2015, 09:33 AM

Mups do you change your own tyres ? because unless you do you may not need all the tools. When I had my own car a few years ago I always carried a spare and if I needed to change it very nice drivers used to stop to help and I was never asked for tools they all used their own.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2015, 09:41 AM

Oh dear Mups - its one of those times for you, been a rotten few days for me and I says to Fabio - we're just going through one of those times again, happens every so often don't it ........ trouble is, I don't take it in me stride like I used to

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top