Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2015, 12:37 PM

Doctor today

As agreed with the Doctor before I went off to Devon and was off work for a full 10 days, today I've had an appointment to discuss my deafness and work-related anxiety attacks and depression, which are all inter-related.

The first shock was an irregular heartbeat and elevated Blood pressure so it was all done a second time, after I had calmed a bit.

Anxiety is causing the BP increase she said but I've got to have another ECG next Friday to see how that turns out.

I've also been prescribed antidepressants; not something I wanted to do.

Can't remember what they are now as I left the prescription with Lloyds to pick up tomorrow as I'm off to Audiology now to hopefully get my new mould and adjust my aids again. stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2015, 12:39 PM

Re: Doctor today

Feel for your situation Steve, I have had bad hearing problems with the virus and it is very worrying ........
Hope you have success this time round .....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2015, 12:44 PM

I went to the doctor to today but my troubles are nothing compared yours. In fact I just realised the bugger didn't even check my blood pressure it's always so disgustingly normal.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2015, 01:08 PM

Good wishes to you Stev.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2015, 03:42 PM

I know you didn't want to have antidepressants Steve but they will hopefully help you through the worrying period you are experiencing at the moment. At least something is being done to help you.

I hope your Audiology appt. went well this afternoon.
I also have an Audiology appt. on Monday, having my ears retested aids adjusted.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2015, 03:44 PM

and heres me moaning abut a couple of points on my cholestrol ...

I hope you get things sorted soon Steve..
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2015, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I know you didn't want to have antidepressants Steve but they will hopefully help you through the worrying period you are experiencing at the moment. At least something is being done to help you.

I hope your Audiology appt. went well this afternoon.
I also have an Audiology appt. on Monday, having my ears retested aids adjusted.
When my Doctor asked me how things were at work she was in the process of taking my BP and pulse - which shot up as I spoke.

We waited for a few minutes, spoke of mundane things as I calmed down then she tried again and, although my pulse was like a drunken tap-dancer, my BP had come down so unfortunately I have to take anti-depressants as I have lost the ability to control it all.

My Audiology appointment went OK and I now have my new mould and both aids have been adjusted back to what they should have been but I now have to learn to hear all over again.

I got another hard-sell for Cochlear Implant as now they are saying I may not last 'til I'm 65 before it's all gone.

Kind words from people again so thank you so much.

It's all hitting my quite hard now.

I think I'll need the medication by tomorrow. stevmk2
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2015, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
As agreed with the Doctor before I went off to Devon and was off work for a full 10 days, today I've had an appointment to discuss my deafness and work-related anxiety attacks and depression, which are all inter-related.

The first shock was an irregular heartbeat and elevated Blood pressure so it was all done a second time, after I had calmed a bit.

Anxiety is causing the BP increase she said but I've got to have another ECG next Friday to see how that turns out.

I've also been prescribed antidepressants; not something I wanted to do.

Can't remember what they are now as I left the prescription with Lloyds to pick up tomorrow as I'm off to Audiology now to hopefully get my new mould and adjust my aids again. stevmk2

Can I ask you why not Steve, considering you've sounded so down of late?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2015, 04:50 PM

Steve I think this may well be beginning of you getting better, I know you don't want antidepressants (no one really does) but they do help get you to a point you can cope better and once they start working you may find other things start to fall into place too. I really feel for you with your hearing, it is so life changing to lose it. Perhaps that is the problem it is life changing and normal reaction I to cling to old way of life and try to preserve that, this is a whole new way of living.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2015, 07:45 PM

Do you not want a Cochlear Implant or is it that you dont feel this is for you?

I ask because I cared for a very determined old lady of then 84 who decided that even though she had had zero hearing in her left ear since a botched op in 1970 she would like to try the implant.. Then again she felt she had nothing to loose given that she had zero hearing that side anyway..In her right ear she had a digital aid but it only gave her a limited understanding of the world.

The implant was quite a bit of work and very funny because she always said rude words if she didnt hear what was said during word practice.. But within six months she had over 65% hearing in that ear.

It has opened up a new world for her and she dusted off her record collection and I arrived one morning to find her dancing to some old tunes she had just re-discovered..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top