Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2015, 08:13 AM

Five Percent

On the BBC News, it just stated that Scientists know just 5% of how the universe works, how can they know they only know 5%, surely they would have to know what a 100% is too know they only know 5%, does someone know 100% and is not letting on?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2015, 08:41 AM

Re: Five Percent

That sounds logical to me Spitty. I herewith award you the Nobel prize for physics !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2015, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
On the BBC News, it just stated that Scientists know just 5% of how the universe works, how can they know they only know 5%, surely they would have to know what a 100% is too know they only know 5%, does someone know 100% and is not letting on?
Maybe because they know the other 95% is there but not how it works
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2015, 08:50 AM

Well its like this see - the universe is very big and if you look at it as a big gateau, you would know you've only eaten 5 per cent of it ......
See what I mean Spittie......
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2015, 09:33 AM

I like your logic and second Alan's award!

I don't know whether it's lack of training, lack of education or just laziness on behalf of the broadcasters but I've noticed that any scientific information on the media these days is often incorrect, misleading or complete and utter tosh.

I can remember recently, a local radio presenter claiming that Tinnitus causes deafness and, when we had the eclipse, a TV presenter claimed the sun was 93000 miles from us and was [I]travelling at 186,000 miles to us - if that were true we'd either be toast long ago or no longer here minutes after she said that! stevmk2
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2015, 09:51 AM

Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones.

© Donald Rumsfeld
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2015, 09:54 AM

Yep - tell me that again Donald .......
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2015, 11:02 AM

They can only assume that we only know 5% based on what we do know.
But if what we think we know is wrong [which is more than possible, remember the flat earth brigade] Then it puts a whole new perspective on what we don't know....
I suspect it was a mis-quote and should have been 0.000005%
Or to put it in engineering terms.....We really know 'Bugger All'
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

05-04-2015, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
They can only assume that we only know 5% based on what we do know.
But if what we think we know is wrong [which is more than possible, remember the flat earth brigade] Then it puts a whole new perspective on what we don't know....
I suspect it was a mis-quote and should have been 0.000005%
Or to put it in engineering terms.....We really know 'Bugger All'

Ah - now that I get
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2015, 12:14 AM

I see your point, and agree with you Spitty. That's my kind of logic too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top