Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2015, 11:36 PM

What's wrong with these kids?

Is this bizaare or is it me?

Now that young Zayne wots-his-name has walked away from 'One Direction' some of his young fans have gone a bit funny in the head, I think.

"Apparently, on hearing the news that Zayne had left the world's biggest band, Twitter was avalanched by 4,600 distraught tweets a minute with 'Directioners,' unhinged by sadness, urging others to self harm as a sign of their misery."

W-H-A-T ??

Yes, I was young once, but NEVER was I as weird as that over a school girl crush.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2015, 11:51 PM

Re: What's wrong with these kids?

Nothing surprises me anymore, kids of today will follow!
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2015, 12:07 AM

Oh I don't know, remember all the screaming and hysteria over the Beatles, David Cassidy in the 70s etc. Its just that a lot more 'stuff' is instantly all over social media and things that nobody knew are public property.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2015, 12:17 AM

Yes, I remember the hysteria Anita, but that was never the same as encouraging people to 'self harm.'
If some nutters are suggesting that as a good idea, I won't be surprised if other nutters actually do it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2015, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
Oh I don't know, remember all the screaming and hysteria over the Beatles, David Cassidy in the 70s etc. Its just that a lot more 'stuff' is instantly all over social media and things that nobody knew are public property.
Absolutely spot on.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2015, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
I think this is so it happens to some extent with members of each generation but with the advent of social media there is a greater opportunity for contagious mass hysteria ...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2015, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I think this is so it happens to some extent with members of each generation but with the advent of social media there is a greater opportunity for contagious mass hysteria ...

It certainly has a lot to answer for
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2015, 09:14 AM

I can remember when Robbie left Take that I thought we might have to call a doctor to Tasha she was bereft and wouldn't eat for nearly a week ! Her friends all the same. They got over it though and eventually all we heard were sighs and if onlys. Each generation has had it's distressed teens I can still remember how I felt when bay city rollers split - threw all my tartan away in a strop

Difference now is parents seem to be unable to cope with their teens and let them get away with stuff previous generations didn't hence the self harming etc.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2015, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I can remember when Robbie left Take that I thought we might have to call a doctor to Tasha she was bereft and wouldn't eat for nearly a week ! Her friends all the same. They got over it though and eventually all we heard were sighs and if onlys. Each generation has had it's distressed teens I can still remember how I felt when bay city rollers split - threw all my tartan away in a strop

Difference now is parents seem to be unable to cope with their teens and let them get away with stuff previous generations didn't hence the self harming etc.

Theres a big difference now - parents didn't have to put up with the influence of the internet - more powerful than anything else - I feel for the parents having to cope with it all .....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2015, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
[/B]
Theres a big difference now - parents didn't have to put up with the influence of the internet - more powerful than anything else - I feel for the parents having to cope with it all .....
Good point I still think some are weaker parents I watch them at school gates and they are more obsessed with twitter etc than guiding the kids, if they got their heads out of their screens they might notice what their kids are doing more.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top