Join for free
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2015, 08:54 PM

Lakeside Looksee.

Up early and a quick check of the local weather found that despite recent reports there might be a chance of a glimpse of eclipse.

Nothing ventured nothing gained, so i wandered down to my local lake as i wanted to see what effect it would have on the birds.

Cloud cover was heavy but a sliver of blue was heading the right way. Set up the scope and prepared as best i could sometimes the cloud lightened and you could just make out the sun and the start of the eclipse.

Almost at once the Mute Swans left the water and moved onto land. The Noisy Tufted ducks became silent.

Chatting with a couple of dogwalkers we enjoyed the event, getting brief views of the changing face of the sun.

After it was all over and the sky had lost its cloud i walked up to the small lake to observe the Great-crested grebe pair, i have been watching and photographing these attractive and interesting birds since 2006.

It was blowing a hooley and well below average temperatures for the time of year. The Grebes were together and pair bonding, mutual head tossing and mirroring each others moves, before retiring into the Phragmites reeds where nest building and mating occurred.

The reedbed, next to a sports center.

The nest is as far away as is possible, but the birds kept well into the reeds so not much chance for any photos.

Couple of surprises included a colour ringed Coot, rare to see this species ringed, so i will try to find out its provenance.

a friend of mine had a nice find on the coast with 3 Waxwings in a dene, very hard to come by this winter.

apologies for the dodgy pics, record shots only.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2015, 11:13 PM

Re: Lakeside Looksee.

They're lovely photos! We had such a lot of cloud in The Land of the Swamp People, the sun was only visible for a second or two, it didn't get dark either, very disappointing!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2015, 11:18 PM

I enjoyed your day out in pictures, Nom
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2015, 12:30 AM

Great pictures Nom.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2015, 08:18 AM

Great pics Nom.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2015, 08:56 AM

Great close up shots of the birds Nom.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2015, 10:02 AM

Interesting pictures thank you Nom
Pappy
Scotland UK
Pappy is male  Pappy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2015, 10:34 AM

I'm in awe Nom
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2015, 09:46 PM

Brilliant shots Nom.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2015, 05:11 AM

Thanks folks appreciated, just heard someone on the radio calling the Eclipse "Fifty Shades of Grey" wished i had thought of that

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top