Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2015, 12:08 AM

Government Bonds.

Anyone know much about the government pensioner bonds?
Has anyone bought any?
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2015, 08:40 AM

Re: Government Bonds.

Do you mean the 'Pensioner bonds' ?
I'd like to, but I'm still too young (even if I don't feel it). The main thing to note now is that unless you've got a lot of other savings, the proposed exemption on tax for the first £1000 of savings interest will make the bonds effectively tax free.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2015, 08:56 AM

I was reading today that you'ld need at least £70,000 in savings to take advantage of the full £1,000 of tax-free interest.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2015, 09:41 AM

Yes we bought some better interest hopefully over max time period. it is only allowing £10,000 per person though but two can do a joint one fo £20.000 if in a legal partnership, ie married for example
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2015, 10:32 AM

Alan, as things stand, you're probably right about the amount of interest you can earn. Not like the 'good old days' when you could get 5% - 7% interest and we could make several £k a year from our savings. We've got FTSE linked guaranteed bonds maturing soon that should return 50% tax free over 6 years. I don't think we could do that now with the FTSE at near record levels.

The 1 year pensioner bonds at 2.8% will yield £280 from £10k. Pity it's limited to 10k.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2015, 11:58 AM

Were I old enough I would buy some. A far higher return than from Building Societies.

There are ways of earning much more but that would involve going into the financial market, not to be advised unless you can afford the risks.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2015, 03:43 PM

I would never buy any Government bonds again having been stung
a few years ago.
I am not proud to say that a £5k Government bond of the day I bought with my retirement money in 2007 was for a 5 year period. In 2012 when it matured the interest I got was £35.79. I will just repeat that again £35.79
I had to look at the paper work at least 200 times to believe my bad
luck. What is so annoying was I could have put it in a Isa at 8per cent
for 5 years. So I would read what the small writing says.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire

19-03-2015, 04:29 PM

That was exceptionally bad luck. I took out a £10k FTSE linked bond a some years earlier and it returned 57% interest (£5700) over 5 years, however the timing of these bonds critical to the return the achieve.

I've also taken out fixed rate ISAs at 7%, but by the time they matured, the best rate was about 2%.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2015, 12:28 AM

Pensions will, imo, be the next "Endowment" type scandal and "PPI" scandal soon enough. ALL schemes that require you to put lots of money in up front and over many many years are crooked and designed to take money off you. Pensions are simply the transfer of YOUR money to someone else to INVEST supposedly on your behalf. Common sense should tell us that where money is concerned people only work for themselves. Hence lots of money IS being made from the investment of YOUR money but YOU won't see much (if any) of it. You would be better investing it yourself (and learning how to do that) and thus keeping the rewards for yourself. There is and has been a pension crisis for a long time. There isn't the money to pay out. The powers that be will therefore find "legal" ways to reduce the amount you should be entitled to. Much will be simply blamed away on the unfortunate "Global Financial Crisis". Excuses like "sorry peeps, but times were bad and all pensions lost money ok? there there don't worry cos everyone is in the same boat"

It's a scam. They HAVE been making money from your money and keeping it for themselves and they always will. That's what they are in business to do. If you are relying on someone else to look after your future prosperity and wealth then be prepared to be disappointed. Take control yourself. Transfer your pension into a private SIPP, learn how to invest and give yourself a chance. If I had my time again I would never join a pension scheme at work. When I was younger it was pretty much compulsory and expected. Social conditioning at work.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2015, 12:55 AM

I gather you don't want any government pensioner bonds then ...?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top