Join for free
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2015, 11:31 AM

car video

I put my car in to a well known garage yesterday for a service. It needed a few bits replaced. Along with a phone call from them telling me what needed done they also sent me a video of it all. I was impressed!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2015, 11:42 AM

Re: car video

Myra
must be a good garage then althoughI suspect they stuck the video cost onto your bill somewhere hidden no doubt.

Friend of mine took his ageing Volvo in for an MOT after his mechanic checked it over, and it failed. They said the rear axle needed replacing as it was worn out.

So my pal got his mechanic back to check it out at home and this is what he found

On inspection the MOT station had loosened the 4 flange bolts connection the prop shaft to the back axel assembly. Now with a car having done well over 100,000 miles the bolts would have been well rusted in.

So he reported to the trading standards people together with his mechanics report and they discovered this MOT test station had tried the same trick before and people had paid hundreds of pounds for the so called "Repair/replacement"
Needless to say The MOT station is no longer there
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2015, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Myra ->
I put my car in to a well known garage yesterday for a service. It needed a few bits replaced. Along with a phone call from them telling me what needed done they also sent me a video of it all. I was impressed!
Myra that is ok if you have got something on which to watch a video , I don't.

I like a written list of items which I can save and use to compare at the next service (eg things like a rough idea of how much life is left in tyres etc ).
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2015, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Myra that is ok if you have got something on which to watch a video , I don't.
Your computer?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2015, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Your computer?
I can't run videos on my laptop Bruce
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2015, 08:34 PM

Our garage does a DVD and will let you watch it at the garage, also the repairs MOT area is behind a glass screen so you can watch real time if you wish.
I have no idea what they are doing so sit in the waiting area with my kindle though so it's wasted on me
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2015, 08:38 PM

Your computer?
It was on my phone. First I thought it was spam! Yes i'm probably paying for it through the nose, but I have a service plan, so I'm not out that much.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2015, 02:46 AM

I can't run videos on my laptop Bruce
Why not? You just need a free program called VLC if you have WIN8<spit>
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

15-03-2015, 11:32 AM

Why not? You just need a free program called VLC if you have WIN8<spit>
Bruce there isn't a hole anywhere to put a video in ,I got rid of my video player years ago
I do have a disc drive on the laptop but have never use it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

16-03-2015, 05:41 AM

Bruce there isn't a hole anywhere to put a video in ,I got rid of my video player years ago
I do have a disc drive on the laptop but have never use it.
Nothing needed to plug in. You only need the drive in the computer and VLC to watch a DVD - if your computer is WIN 7 or earlier you probably don't even need VLC.

Why spend money on the drive you don't use? get stuck into using at once. Actually I have never heard of anybody plugging a video player into a computer.(which doesn't mean to say someone hasn't)

These days DVDs and discs are old hat most videos are available as an MP4, MKV, AVI version etc and are stored on a hard disk to be played on a TV or a computer. I have a few movies and the latest episodes of Call the Midwife on my tablet to watch on trains while I am travelling (when it is dark obviously)

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top