Join for free
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2010, 03:08 PM

Do you think the retiral age is too late ?

I retired at 55 and was glad to finish working.

I see the age for qualifying for the OAP has risen to 66, . . in these days of rising unemployment I think this is folly, . . I retired early and made way for a younger chap so he could support his young family.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2010, 03:19 PM

Re: Do you think the retiral age is too late ?

I think the whole work/life balance thing, throughout life, needs looking at.
It seems crazy to me that the 30-somethings with the most demands from young families have to chase their tails working 60 hour weeks, it also seems crazy that someone of 65 is a valued member off staff one day and 'just retired' the next, all because of a birthday

It would take a much bigger brain than mine to work it through but maybe the 'back-end' is easier to think about. Work full time work part time work flexibly work differently. 25 hours every week maybe, 3 months work 3 months not, 2 years with no significant breaks then 6 months off for the trip of a lifetime, or to completely re-do the house etc etc. There are as many possibilities as there are people

Somebody on the radio this morning was saying that delaying the retirement age by 18 months would put billions into the economy ... I wasn't concentrating, so can't tell you how

It's a fascinating topic. Something has to change. When it was introduced a lot of men didn't even live to collect pension; the average length of being a pensioner was less than 2 years. Now we speak in sad suprisd tones of anyone who doesn't get to 80. That just can't carry on ....
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2010, 03:32 PM

I retired at 65, having worked from the age of 15. At retirement I was working at least 45 hours a week (as a medical secretary). Within two months of retiring I was asked back to work in the hospital management office, which I did for another three years. I finally retired at the age of 68, but then took up on-line medical transcription work for a couple of years. Now, at 71, I help my son with his fledgling event photographic business (when he cant afford an assistant). On Sunday I worked for eleven hours and next Sunday I shall be doing eight hours. So no complete retirement for me yet
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2010, 03:58 PM

My FIL worked until he was 82, albeit a part-time job. He lost his wife when he was 60 and his P/T job gave him the incentive to carry on.

I also think that the majority of today's men of 65 are not ready to retire ..... they are a lot fitter and more capable than they were years ago.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2010, 04:09 PM

In 1957 I walked into a firm in the City of London and thought I have 50 years to retirment ROLL ON.

For most of my life I was self employed installing heating systems, in my fifties I cut down my hourly working, on the day of my 65 birthyday I stopped for good.

I left a message on my mobile on that day.

Any one wants to hear it the number is 07790 633 621
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2010, 04:24 PM

What I'm trying to say is that retiring early makes room for younger people who need jobs during these hard times.

Retiring at say 60 would create a massive amount of jobs for the younger people, . . lets face it, we all know older folks have more job experience in their various fields but oldies could be used in a consultative role part time to bring on the newbies.
romfty
spain
romfty is male 

26-01-2010, 07:45 PM

I agree that folk should go at 65, but only if they can afford it. Some folks pensions have been virtually wiped out and only those in the 'public sector' seem to have escaped. Yes, if you can afford to go, then go and stop 'topping up' your pension, but for those who can't afford to go, then 'work on' is the only way.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2010, 07:53 PM

The young need the jobs and the seniors want to work so what do we do?? With the new 70 being 50 now and I do believe this (that makes you 50 yr olds 30) something has to give. In the states some very old congressman will probably decide.lol
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2010, 09:10 PM

With better medical care and nutrition people are living much longer than they did back in the days when the retirement age was set. Our retirement age is creeping up a bit here, don't remember what it is now. It was 65 when I retired at 63 1/2, took a reduction in benefits but just could not abide having to work another year and a half, I have NEVER regretted it.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2010, 10:56 PM

I took early retirement and voluntary redundancy when I was 51-it was the best thing I have ever done. When it was offered to me I jumped at the chance as it would never be offered again. After working for 30+ years in the Housing Department of the local Council dealing with the general public I decided enough was enough and it was time to go.

I had two years of total freedom until my local vets asked if I would be interested in a part time job. It took me a while to decide and I have been there for nearly 8 years and have enjoyed every minute. I am now looking to become a 'full time retired person' hopefully at the end of April which will give someone else the opportunity of a part-time job. I consider myself extremely lucky that I can take this course of action and am looking forward to all the free time that I'm going to have. The thought of working till I am 65 or beyond does not appeal to me at all.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top