Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Markey1
London
Markey1 is male  Markey1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 09:00 PM

Lambs

Today at the farm I was watching the lambs , they were jumping and playing and look so happy and cute ,the ewe look on proud and caring mothers

Only if they knew what in store for them , not nice
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 09:58 PM

Re: Lambs

A short life but a happy one, hopefully.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 10:11 PM

Sad indeed, what is it with humans that we are not satisfied eating the adults of the species but we have to eat their young too?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Sad indeed, what is it with humans that we are not satisfied eating the adults of the species but we have to eat their young too?
I can understand that some people are unhappy about killing and eating other creatures but, at the end of the day, we are omnivores. Providing we are as humane as possible with the creatures we eat, eating them is acceptable.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 11:14 PM

Well Markey, if we didn't keep sheep, breed lambs, kill and eat them, (and by the way they are no longer cute furry bundles when they are killed for meat) the countryside would not look the way it does at the moment. The farmers I know treat their animals with respect and their lives may be short, but they are living naturally on grass and with their mums for about 4/5 months.

I respect everyone's right to be vegetarian/vegan, but would hope that others would respect the farming way of life which provides us with a large proportion of our food - and keeps the countryside looking good.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 11:41 PM

I have been watching the new lambs with my granddaughter as they are born they are transferred to the field next to my house. There are 12 so far there should be about 150 soon
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2015, 12:01 AM

Worlds within worlds, Humans may be farmed, but not for their flesh.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2015, 12:54 AM

I was at a livestock market once, and there was a tiny, poorly looking lamb there.
It hadn't been long been born, its umbilicus was still set. I don't know if the mother had too many to feed, or maybe she had died even, but anyway, this little mite didn't look well. I managed to get him for just £1 and took him home.
His breathing was rattly and laboured, and it turned out he had got Pneumonia. I got medication for him, and reared him on the goats milk, and he was a lovely little character. When he was strong and well again, he went to some friends of mine who had a flock he could join.
I've got a picture of him somewhere, standing with two of my old German Shepherds, I'll see if I can find it.
Zoe, the female GSD, used to let the lamb sleep curled up in her long belly hair in the kitchen at night, she was a wonderful, gentle old gal, who I could trust with anything.

I also reared a little all black orphan lamb once that a farmer gave me. She was called 'Penny.' She used to jump in the van with the dogs and come out with a run with us, she'd go loopy if she was left behind.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2015, 09:54 AM

It doesn't seem that long ago when lamb was the cheap meat. You could buy half a lamb for $10 but over the last decade (since the last drought) the price has risen until now it is nearly as dear as beef.

Pity really, lamb is such a tasty meat. My butcher makes lamb, garlic and chilli sausages to die for.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2015, 01:53 PM

I have a nice leg of lamb in the freezer ready for Easter. Which we will thoroughly enjoy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top