Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 08:11 PM

Site Rules mentions copyright

In the list of rules for this site it mentions breach of copyright.

So if I may be permitted I would like to point out this

What a lot of people don't realise this extends to photography as well. So my advise is to put a link to a photograph and not post the actual photograph itself.

If you are worried about someone "lifting" your photo for their own purposes there are a couple of things one can do and what not to do

Do not put you signature somewhere on the photo, it can be erased quicker than you can add it

Don't even rely on the picture data (exif) imbedded in the photo, that can be just as easily removed

Best practise

Either make the picture small with few pixels so when blown up it is out of focus and un useable

Or put a watermark across it,which is a lot harder to remove and most will not even bother. That way your picture is a bit safer on the internet.

The ultimate answer is if you consider your photograph has selling potential, never ever put it on the internet anyway.
If a potential client want to buy it send a "proof " copy as I mentioned for them to examine and the full photo upon payment.

Also just one other thing the photographer has the intellectual property rights , so if a client wants to reproduce for product placement they would have to pay to do this
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 10:23 AM

Re: Site Rules mentions copyright

Useful information, Realspeed, thank you for sharing.

How does one add a 'watermark' to a photo - have often seen them on internet sites but do not know how it is done?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 10:43 AM

ST here is a link

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-el...rk-photos.html

it works on Adobe Elements 10 onwards don't know about earlier versions

That version being an older one is quite cheap on

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...c&LH_PrefLoc=2

One seller is here for example

Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 + Premiere Elements 10,Full version for Windows
£13.95

Obviously later versions can do a lot more the latest being V13

With v10 I quickly did these 3 watermarks. spend a little more time and get it how you want

bottom left and right and centre

I have not done it before so it is a new to me as it will be to you. As I am not the brightest spark in the pack by any means, if I can do it so can you

As for size/position/visibility/wording etc that is all in the settings you apply

Always remember to do it on a copy not the original

My guess is you are thinking of something like I did on the bottom right but want it across the centre? no problem these are just examples
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 01:01 PM

Thank you very much! Will have a play.
ShirleyMarie
Michigan, USA
ShirleyMarie is female  ShirleyMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 10:24 AM

I watermark all my photos and art work in the lower left corner...you can see the picture but my sign is there...I blend it a bit, match colors so it does not shout at you. I really don't care if my pictures are snagged...in a way it is a complement but I appreciate being told or best asked about it.

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

11-03-2015, 06:39 PM

ShirleyMarie

Just to say where you put your watermark I removed in seconds then deleted the copy I made on my computer

I would never "lift" any photo without the photographer knowing, and then only as a demonstration if posted on a site usually at the photographers request to see if their original can be made a bit better

The best watermark is right across the centre of the picture allowing the background to just show through
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 06:50 PM

Watermarks can easily be taken off a photo no matter where you place them.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

11-03-2015, 09:16 PM

Jimmy

Of course they can, but depending on where the watermark is placed and how transparent it is can make it that harder to eliminate altogether. If you read my first post I did make that point clear .

Put yourself in a position of wanting to "pinch" a certain type of photograph. Would you go for one with a watermark right across it or look for one without any distinguishing marks . Of course you would ignore the one with the watermark and with spending the time trying to get rid of it, and go for the unmarked photo instead.

That is the whole point of watermarks to give some sort of protection to the photographers work.

Take a scenario of 2 cars parked alongside each other, one has a visible security bar across the steering wheel and the other has left the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition, which one would get stolen first?

yes the car with the bar can also get stolen but it is a lot more trouble to do.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 09:42 PM

If anyone is worried about their photos being stolen, the best thing to do is to keep them out of the public domain,
Having said that I can't see anyone on here stealing other people photos.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

11-03-2015, 09:43 PM

Exactly what I said in my first post. it is not a question of members doing it but the site is open,as are most, for guests to view. That is where and how it can happen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top