Join for free
poppypie chucker
New Member!
wakefield uk
poppypie chucker is female 

25-01-2010, 11:36 PM

My Favourite TV Series

Having got fed up with the usual dross on tv I kept seeing a trailer for Boston Legal. Got hubby to down load the first series and it has to be the best tv ever. It is masterly written, with tongue in cheek humour and pathos, as one of the main characters is diagnosed with Alzheimers (loving termed Mad Cow Disease in the hope he has got the illness from burger eating rather than just his brain giving in). Not a great lover of William Shatner but his acting in this tv comedy/drama is unbeatable. His partner in crime Alan Shore (James Spader) is even better. Lines delivered with total believability and sincerity for the strangest of court cases has to be seen. I definitely recommend this series (8 in total) to anyone wanting to watch quality tv. Devasted that i have now watched all 8. Only option is to watch them all again. Anyone else seen this series and can you recommend anything that you would consider to be as good?
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2010, 12:22 PM

Re: My Favourite TV Series

I haven't seen any of that series - sounds good though.

I try to avoid series/serials now, as I find I don't watch an awful lot of telly (or telly that's not sport ) Wonder if that has anything to do with the www???

One from way back which I absolutely loved was The Jewel in the Crown. I have dropped hints about the boxed set for the last several christmasses but so far to no avail!

Upstairs Downstairs was always a good watch too
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2010, 01:27 PM

Auf Wiedersehen Pet was my favourite, . . . the magnificent seven.

Denis,
Ozz,
Barry,
Neville,
Wayne,
Bomber,
and Moxey.

Rumour has it they have a new contract, . . . they're gonna rebuild Hadrians Wall.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by poppypie chucker ->
Having got fed up with the usual dross on tv I kept seeing a trailer for Boston Legal. Got hubby to down load the first series and it has to be the best tv ever. It is masterly written, with tongue in cheek humour and pathos, as one of the main characters is diagnosed with Alzheimers (loving termed Mad Cow Disease in the hope he has got the illness from burger eating rather than just his brain giving in). Not a great lover of William Shatner but his acting in this tv comedy/drama is unbeatable. His partner in crime Alan Shore (James Spader) is even better. Lines delivered with total believability and sincerity for the strangest of court cases has to be seen. I definitely recommend this series (8 in total) to anyone wanting to watch quality tv. Devasted that i have now watched all 8. Only option is to watch them all again. Anyone else seen this series and can you recommend anything that you would consider to be as good?
I agree with everything you say. We loved this programme and were devastated when it ended.

There are several petitions that you can sign to ask ABC Ithink to bring it back. This programme never dumbed down was always ethical so why did it have to go?
Wanda
High Peak, Derbyshire, UK
Wanda is female  Wanda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2010, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
This programme never dumbed down was always ethical so why did it have to go?
I think you've just answered your own question!
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2010, 11:26 PM

It used to be "Ever Decreasing Circles" but NOW it's

"Gavin And Stacy"
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2010, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Wanda ->
I think you've just answered your own question!
Sad but probably true. Someone said that television programmes are aimed at a much younger viewer and all the actors were mature.

Tonight alone someone in a film was incontinent and that was funny. Someone else wiped his bottom with a furry creature and that was supposed to be funny. I know I have an off button and I used it.
Chr1st1an
East Anglia
Chr1st1an is male  Chr1st1an has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2010, 09:21 AM

Those who know me well would guess that my 'fav' series would have to be a comedy...and I chose Porridge out of some very stiff opposition.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2010, 11:57 AM

My favourite over the years has got to be All Creatures Great and Small
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

08-02-2010, 12:23 PM

Just recently I have discovered Doc Martin and Kingdom they are both easy going programmes with lovely English countryside shots.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top