Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
susieq
New Member!
South Wales
susieq is female 

25-01-2010, 09:55 PM

Need cheering up

Hi guys,

haven't been around for a while due to various problems of one thing and another but thought that things were starting to settle down when the bombshell dropped today, the company that I work for is more than likely going to fold, I know this is a common occurrence these days, but when you are 55, overweight and not doing too good financially anyway it feels like the last straw, trying not to panic but am starting too, any help, advice or just cheering up would be great, thanks

Sue x
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2010, 10:17 PM

Re: Need cheering up

Sorry to hear that Sue, I haven't any good advice to give you but can offer you a big (((hug)) if it helps...
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2010, 10:51 PM

No advice either, but thinking of you, and Hugs too....
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2010, 11:00 PM

No advice from here either but good luck and big hugs
another Sue x
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2010, 12:27 AM

*hugs* from me too. Only advice I can offer is don't panic, but to research into what type of help is available for people in a similar boat (esp regarding mortgage payments etc).
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2010, 03:29 AM

It happened to me at 59; the company I'd worked for for 39 years was sold and moved to Baltimore. Officially there's no age discrimination, but it's out there. Take a week or so to recover from the shock, sign up for unemployment compensation (do you have that in the UK?). update your resume, reply to every ad you can, and above all, network!! I got my next job thru a lead from a friend who knew of someone needing a new employee. It took me 3 months, but truthfully I wasn't looking too hard in the first month; was enjoying the time off, as my mortgage was paid off. Hang in there, good luck!
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2010, 09:49 AM

Good advice from DM there
You're bound to be in a state of shock for now but ... when you've passed through that stage (as quickly as you humanly can) try to look on it as an opportunity. Who knows what's waiting for you round the corner? And if ever there was a real incentive to lose weight, this is it too. See, it's not all bad, already
You can adopt victim mode; you can adopt survivor mode. There are times when all of us are victims - it's up to you to make the changeover.
Hugs and best wishes
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2010, 10:28 AM

I am so sorry no further advice I can offer but I have my fingers crossed that it all works out for you. Not everywhere is ageist BTW at my place of work I am the youngest receptionist out of 4, one of them turns 60 this April and she has only been there 2 years.

Hugs to you and try to stay positive.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2010, 10:38 AM

So sorry to hear all that but as others have suggested, go sign on at your local JobCentre and any local agencies around. I am sure there will be something around there for you. I was in a similar situation when Coats the threadmakers closed but I got a job thru' the JobCentre in Glasgow and it was brilliant. So go to your JC and sign up and you will get a job - believe in yourself and everything should work out for you.

Take care and hugs going to you.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2010, 11:20 AM

Susieq, I am sorry to hear of your problems and worries. It is only natural to be worried.

The only advice I can offer is to do what I did, take anything on offer workwise. At one time I worked one job in the morning the another in the afternoon. The morning job was only two hours a day to begin with, but they soon asked me to work longer hours and it then became the whole morning. Whilst working there, I heard of another job going in another department and immediately applied for that. I got it and this was a full time job.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top