Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 06:32 PM

Benefits!!!

I've been looking into what support I can tap into as my deafness is becoming a far more serious problem now -communication is pretty essential in every-day life if you think about it!

I've sent emails to all sorts of people and / or organisations that I was told that they are "there to help you" and, so far, 2 have now responded but both have suggested I try someone else.

In between the classic buck-passing though I've now been told that I should apply for Working Tax Credit as well as the Personal Independence Payment that I was first recommended to try.

Not only that but I've been told that, once I get the PIP I can then go for a Carer's Allowance too and - maybe - Council Tax Support.

Going through all this guff I found that the PIP isn't Means Tested but the WTC is Means Tested and the Carer's Allowance is taxable.

Now I've never really looked into all this before but I've been working and paying into the system since I was 14 years old and I need help so I'm going for everything that I am ENTITLED to and I will be absolutely honest with every Government bureau / department I need to deal with but it looks to me now that I am entitled to a lot more than I ever knew!

I get very stressed at work but today someone's emailed me telling me that I have the RIGHT, as a Disabled Employee to paid time-off if it is directly related to my disability, which it is, without it being classed as Sickness.

I don't abuse the system - never have, never will and now it looks like I have possibly missed out on a lot of things that I could have had to help me but all this makes me wonder; just how many people out there ARE actually "working the system"?

It doesn't put me off I have to say but I do wonder so I thought I'd ask the question here - never mind the banner headlines, what do you really think? stevmk2
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 06:36 PM

Re: Benefits!!!

All I'd say is apply for any benefits or credits you should be getting Steve. Better in your pocket than someone elses. As a friend of mines used to say "fight for your rights".
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 06:49 PM

You could Email Citizens Advice too - if you're unsure ......
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 07:06 PM

By all means if you are entitled to claim certain benefits apply for them Steve, they have special funds set up for this and you won’t be depriving anyone else, so don’t feel guilty for what are your legal entitlements. The government strategy on lawful but mostly hidden benefits is to keep them hidden as much as they possibly can, well over here it is.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 07:13 PM

It's a know fact that there are millions of pounds in unclaimed benefits......... Yet there are others who don't miss a penny. You need to be quite clever.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 07:37 PM

I'd say go ahead and apply for whatever you are entitled to, but I do wonder how deafness can be an entitlement to carer's allowance? (Not having a go at you, just puzzled.)
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 07:38 PM

I would suggest that you arrange a visit to the CAB, they will sort you out re benefits.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I'd say go ahead and apply for whatever you are entitled to, but I do wonder how deafness can be an entitlement to carer's allowance? (Not having a go at you, just puzzled.)
Yes, me too but It'll be interesting to see the outcome.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

03-03-2015, 08:00 PM

Steve, is it because you're unhappy at work that financially you'd love to see a way out? Have you a mortgage to pay and it's making you very stressed? Has your hearing drastically deteriorated? It sounds like you're finding it difficult to cope. There must be a way round any of these things. Don't get too despondent. CAB will point you in the right direction.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 09:57 PM

Get in touch with the CAB steve make an appointment and tell them why you are coming in and they will get you to see someone who is expert in benefits. Then apply for everything you can worse they can say is no

And for anyone wondering about deafness needing a carer well I have been a bit deaf nothing like Steve's since November and I have needed more help since that happened than I ever have with my MS I would even say it's worse than when I went blind for a while a couple of years ago. You can do very little if you can't hear what people are saying.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top