Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 04:37 PM

Dave Mackay.

I know he probably is some one you have never or hardly ever heard of but he was one of my early legends a man that graced the beautiful game of football before the money men stepped in and ruined it all.
This morning he passed at the grand old age of 80.
I was never a Spurs fans but in my day we watched all great players whenever we could get the chance.

Great Sportsman.
Great Character.
Great Man.

Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 04:41 PM

Re: Dave Mackay.

He don't look too happy in the 2nd photo
Still - he's at peace now ........
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 04:41 PM

I am not a football person Bazza but my Dad was and I know the name.
I think Dave Mackay dates from the time when footballers were hard working sportsman not overpaid prima donnas .
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
He don't look too happy in the 2nd photo
Still - he's at peace now ........

Story behind that picture Patsy is that Mackay was out for some time with a double fracture on one of his legs. His first game back within minutes of the game starting Billy Bremner also a well know hard man of the era tackled him and was taking no prisoners if you get my drift.
Mackay merely showed BB that he was not impressed and he continued to the end of his career without ever getting sent off.
I think the ref of that day helped a little bit don't you..
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 04:50 PM

I cant believe he was 80! RIP Dave.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 05:13 PM

I also remember Dave Mackay from the old days when I used to follow our lowly team, Bristol Rovers .... they were never good enough to play against the likes of him.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->

Story behind that picture Patsy is that Mackay was out for some time with a double fracture on one of his legs. His first game back within minutes of the game starting Billy Bremner also a well know hard man of the era tackled him and was taking no prisoners if you get my drift.
Mackay merely showed BB that he was not impressed and he continued to the end of his career without ever getting sent off.
I think the ref of that day helped a little bit don't you..
Thanks for the info - BB - say no more ......
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 06:29 PM

I don't know him Longfellow, but it's lovely you've honoured him here.
HTB
Lanc's
HTB is male  HTB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 07:02 PM

RIP big guy......proper footballer.......hard as f**k.......go to heaven and play in the first eleven........bless.........H
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Myra ->
I don't know him Longfellow, but it's lovely you've honoured him here.
Agree.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top