Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 12:26 AM

Big Towns & Cities

I don't often go into any big towns now, I can get most things I need fairly locally. So when, like today, I had to go into Bedford, I don't half notice the difference in people's attitudes.
I didn't feel comfortable with shady looking individuals lurking about in doorways and on street corners, nor walking past larger groups of young men hanging around either.
Then, I was finally making my way back to the multi-storey when I heard such loud shouting going on further down the high street. Two men were arguing and the loudest one was shouting "I'll effing kill you." I have never seen anyone in such a wicked temper. Then they started coming nearer, still effing and blinding at the tops of their voices, with one shoving the other all the time. | don't mind admitting, I was getting quite nervous and scuttled off back to my car pretty quick.
I even found myself looking over my shoulder when I was alone in the multi-storey, and locked my car door as soon as I got in it, which I don't normally feel the need to do.
It made me think, isn't it awful when you can't enjoy a browse round without feeling intimidated liker that.

I don't remember all these undesirables hanging about when I was younger - or is it that we feel more vulnerable as we get older. Or there again, maybe its just me being silly.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 12:43 AM

Re: Big Towns & Cities

No Mups your not being silly, this is everywhere you go now. I haven't ventured into my town for years, i must admit i hate it now. Everything has been knocked out of it, in the 70's it was a busy town, people used to smile and talk to each other, but now it's just people going about their business and gang's of youths and foreign people roaming the streets. You feel intimidated by this. The shops look shabby and cheap, it's all just terrible.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 12:57 AM

Yes, it can be most unpleasant can't it Sue. There were also foreigners standing about asking people for money as well. They weren't busking or doing anything to try and earn a few bob, just plain asking for money.
It's not good is it, and it used to be a lovely place to shop and have a bit of lunch.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 01:01 AM

I like going to the city. Can't say I've noticed any decline.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 01:04 AM

I could cry when i think of our town how it used to be, i can't say too much on here as they might wipe me out for good. But you probably know what i want to say
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I like going to the city. Can't say I've noticed any decline.
I must just add though - I've noticed a great decline in our small local town. It seems to have more banks and charity shops than anything else - all the individual shops have gone and some prime position shops boarded up. Also take the market - It used to fill the market place. There must have been about 50 stalls on a Friday & Saturday - now there are about six.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
I could cry when i think of our town how it used to be, i can't say too much on here as they might wipe me out for good. But you probably know what i want to say
I was born in Huddersfield and came with my parents to Australia when I was nine. Last year I went to Bradford (while we were staying in Skipton which is gorgeous) and I know just what you are saying. My 93 yr old mother would be absolutely appalled if she saw what these towns are like now compared with her youth.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire

27-02-2015, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
I was born in Huddersfield and came with my parents to Australia when I was nine. Last year I went to Bradford (while we were staying in Skipton which is gorgeous) and I know just what you are saying. My 93 yr old mother would be absolutely appalled if she saw what these towns are like now compared with her youth.

Quite right Jaywalker, my parents would be turning in their grave. I go to Huddersfield most weeks shopping with my husband and it has a similar feel but not as bad as Bradford...
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 07:55 AM

Yes, I've noticed a decline over the past few years, but I think the rot started in the 1960s when most town centres were destroyed to build a shopping centre
To be fair, a lot of town centres were getting a bit run down, but instead of selective, sensitive improvement & investment which preserved the character and friendliness they got an Arndale Centre.

I visit Manchester City Centre, and because it is a city centre it is still buoyant, helped by the fact that the authorities have at long last started to appreciate what they have

But I really notice the decline or change in smaller & medium towns. I didn't notice so much when I had a car, which kept me on main roads & dual carriageways, but now I use my bus pass, which takes me through towns & suburbs I can see the decline & deterioration
This includes the things you've mentioned - closed shops & businesses, litter, general deterioration & shabbiness; and that seems to apply to the people as well

I have friends who live in the Manchester area and they say they very rarely go into the centre now, and when they do they no longer wander round & make it a day out, or stay for a meal in the evening. They go in to a few specific shops then go home before it gets dark

Like myself and yourselves they have commented on an increased number of unsavoury characters hanging around, and the increased number of immigrants. I was brought up in Ardwick, in the centre of Manchester, and don't mind a bit of city life, but I find now that it is intimidating & unwelcoming

I lived in Kendal for many years, till about 5 years ago, and most people think of it as a pleasant little town, but friends tell me that has changed.
Several pubs closed; 'proper' shops have gone; council have closed most of the public loos; you get the idea
The factory where I worked employed about 320 people when I lived there; now I hear it's about 85
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 08:45 AM

Living and growing up in a place like London hardens you up to this. I have people saying to me, should you travel on the underground late at night (if going out for example) but I reply, well, I've done it all my life and don't feel threatened or unsafe, but can understand it when others are unsure.

But yes, I can understand when once lovely places have deteriorated. And sadly it's all down to the human race!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top