Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2010, 01:44 AM

Books that were made into films

Some good stories have been made into films, . . the first book I read as a boy was Moby Dick, . . the film was great too starring Richard Baseheart and Orson Wells.

Which book did you like that was made into a film ?
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2010, 08:14 PM

Re: Books that were made into films

It's not out yet but I read they have made a film of The Lovely Bones by Alice Seebold. I quite enjoyed the book but I think making the scenes of the murdered girl in heaven will be difficult. I'll be interested to see what they make of it.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2010, 12:04 PM

In general, I don't think books to films normally goes well; I always seem to end up disappointed.
Maybe the Lord of the Rings have been as good as any?
Biggest disappointment - Captain Corelli's Mandolin. Loved the book - the film was just pshaw.
Miranda53
Buckinghamshire, UK
Miranda53 is female  Miranda53 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2010, 01:03 PM

I agree, books to film don't often transfer well.

Although it's not technically a movie, my favourite "book to screen" transfer has to be the televised RSC production of Dickens' Nicholas Nickelby with Roger Rees, from the early 80's.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2010, 01:04 PM

I've read several books that have been made into films. The films aren't usually faithful reproductions but I find that what they lose in some ways, they gain in others.

I read Jaws long before it was a film. The book made more of the relationship between Hooper and Ellen Brody than the film did. I wasn't disappointed to see that largely dropped in favour of putting the accent on fighting the shark. The book and the film were both good in their different ways but I actually preferred the film.

I read Silence of the Lambs before it was a film. My family asked why I would read a story like that. "Because it's a good one" said I. Again, there were parts in it that the film didn't have ..but they made a very good film out of it even so. I can't have been the only one to think it a good book.

I used to read Stephen King quite a bit too. I thought some of his stories didn't convert quite so well into films. He paints a picture in the imagination that films can't quite capture for me.

The films are generally good in my opinion but maybe they should be stated more prominently as being 'based on' the books.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2010, 01:35 PM

I have always said, . . and so have others, . . a picture tells a thousand words, . . I agree some films are no where near the original story but this is the producers and directors giving poetic licence to their work.

"A Town Like Alice" was great, both the book and the film starring Virginia McKenna and Peter Finch.

Another great, . . (one of me faves BTW), . . was "The Cruel Sea", . . a fantastic film IMO.

How about "Ben Hur" ? . . both the book and the film were great.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2010, 02:41 PM

I watched `Slum dog Millionaire ` on Ch4 last night.

I read Q&A a while back now.

What a let down!!-the film was like eating a McDonalds(yes I did once) after expectng Heston Blumenthal(not that I can afford such places)
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2010, 04:40 PM

I don't think a film can ever match up to the world your imagination creates as you read but they can be good in their own right, probably better not to compare.

I thought the worst book to film recently was The Da Vinci Code. Very slow moving and confusing. I'm not sure that anyone who hadn't read the book would have been able to follow the plot.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by twizzle ->
I thought the worst book to film recently was The Da Vinci Code. Very slow moving and confusing. I'm not sure that anyone who hadn't read the book would have been able to follow the plot.
You're right about that I reckon. I watched the film and resolved to watch it again the next time I see it's on. I'll have more of an idea about it then.

The last film I felt like that about was Pulp Fiction. I have managed to watch this a few times and now know what's going on.
nero
Central Scotland

26-01-2010, 04:51 PM

Another good one was "On the Beach" starring Gregory Peck and Anthony Perkins.

Great book too.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top