Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 03:59 PM

Superstitions !

I was looking at a lovely photo of Snowdrops and I remembered that an old friend of mine would not have them in the house - she said that they brought death in with them. The same friend would not display cards with birds on them - not even Robins at Christmas!

Some superstitions may have a factual basis - like not putting shoes on table - that one comes from mining communities, and Opals being unlucky - that one comes from the fact that Opal is quite soft (Mohs scale 5) therefore easily broken, and I can almost understand not walking under ladders - but how on earth can flowers or Robins do you any harm?

Do you have any superstitions? Do you know their origins?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 05:11 PM

Re: Superstitions !

Nothing surprises me in the superstition game Silver.
There are so many of them over here, my grandmother was a country woman and she was very superstitious, I think a lot of it rubbed off on me. Never open an umbrella in the house, a woman whistling in the house is the height of bad luck (come to think of I’m not sure if women can whistle at all, I’ve never heard one whistle, maybe something to do with the Adams apple?), she had all the usual ones plus a few very strange ones, two come to mind now, one was never offer a silver coin as payment unless the head on the coin is facing up, never found out why that was or what was supposed to happen if you offered it tail first, the other one was never put apple peels on the fire, I remember she used to put the potato peels on to save on the coal, but I haven’t a clue where these superstitions came from, there are some very strange ones about in Ireland.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 05:11 PM

I remember the snow drops one and also lilac in the summer, we never have white lilies either again death was foretold. I'm not sure it isn't to do with different times all these flowers have been used for funerals. It's as simple as that.

I am not very superstitious only one really get me is if anyone puts their clothes on inside out they must take it off turn round 3 times while waving the item above their heads before putting it back on right way this time.

What that is all about heaven knows but I am convinced something terrible will happen if I don't. Came down from my great grandmother and possibly earlier.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 05:20 PM

,certain words were not spoken in our family ,or my father would not earn a penny that day while out hawking....
Which really confused me as a small child cause the words would come on the TV
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 06:06 PM

Oh some good laughs here - what a picture the rituals paint, turning around 3 times with yer jumper in the air
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I was looking at a lovely photo of Snowdrops and I remembered that an old friend of mine would not have them in the house - she said that they brought death in with them. The same friend would not display cards with birds on them - not even Robins at Christmas!

Some superstitions may have a factual basis - like not putting shoes on table - that one comes from mining communities, and Opals being unlucky - that one comes from the fact that Opal is quite soft (Mohs scale 5) therefore easily broken, and I can almost understand not walking under ladders - but how on earth can flowers or Robins do you any harm?

Do you have any superstitions? Do you know their origins?
Oh dear, I got a beautiful opal commitment ring in Australia. I'd hate to think it was unlucky. It hasn't been - yet!
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Oh some good laughs here - what a picture the rituals paint, turning around 3 times with yer jumper in the air
My MIL would turn her money over and turn round 3times in front of the New Moon. I think she also bowed to it as well ,
This was done to increase her money .
When i did it i got dizzy
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Oh dear, I got a beautiful opal commitment ring in Australia. I'd hate to think it was unlucky. It hasn't been - yet!
I think that's the problem - people believe these things and it creates negativity. Opals are very popular and lovely, if there was any truth in it - they would not be so popular
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

16-02-2015, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
My MIL would turn her money over and turn round 3times in front of the New Moon. I think she also bowed to it as well ,
This was done to increase her money .
When i did it i got dizzy
So funny
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 06:20 PM

My mum had so many superstitions I'm surprised she ever made it out the door! She wouldn't have anything in the house with birds on and passing on the stairs was another - if she left the house and had forgotten something, bad luck to turn back, so never did...no umbrellas up in the house..
I'm not overly superstitious but there are one or two..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top