Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2010, 04:31 PM

What ARE our Universities churning out ?

There are very few dedicated professional people in this country now.

Doctors 40 years ago used to care about their patients, not any more, . . they're in it for the cash.

Vets are the same, It's just cost me £95 for 28 Synulox tablets for caesar, (Synulox is just Penicillin), plus a £25 consultation fee of course, . . then another £25 for analysing his urine sample (a cardboard test strip dipped in the sample) then another £60 for an injection, . . methinks my vet is trying to pay off our national debt.

Then there are the clerical group, Priests and Vicars, . . if you care about your children keep away from these guys, . . one of them encourages shoplifting, . . some priests are Paedophiles.

Then we have the Dentists, . . have you had any dental treatment recently ? .. that's if you can get a dentist to accept you.

Civil engineers, . . they've been working on upgrading a 5 mile stretch of dual carriageway near us for over a year, looks like they'll still be at it next year, . . a bit further along the same road they took 3 years to build a flyover, they completed the job 18 months ago but had to demolish is coz the foundations below the supporting pillars collapsed, . . it took them another 18 months for the rebuild.

Then we have the greedy bankers, they managed to bankrupt the country last year but are still operating the same gambling methods with our cash, . . it's time the joined gamblers anonymous IMO.

In every profession standards have dropped, . . even "tradesmen's" skills are in doubt, . . have you ever had to call in a plumber ? . . do you know a good mechanic you trust not to rip you off, . . the whole of the UK has lost pride and professionalism IMO, . . they are all in it for the cash.

We have become a nation of amateurs.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2010, 08:32 PM

Re: What ARE our Universities churning out ?

I went to University-I got a PhD .

But much more I learnt how to stand up in a strange Northern city,how to manage a very small budget and how to cook if I wanted to impress the ladies.

But that was a long time ago
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2010, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
There are very few dedicated professional people in this country now.

Doctors 40 years ago used to care about their patients, not any more, . . they're in it for the cash.

Vets are the same, It's just cost me £95 for 28 Synulox tablets for caesar, (Synulox is just Penicillin), plus a £25 consultation fee of course, . . then another £25 for analysing his urine sample (a cardboard test strip dipped in the sample) then another £60 for an injection, . . methinks my vet is trying to pay off our national debt.

Then there are the clerical group, Priests and Vicars, . . if you care about your children keep away from these guys, . . one of them encourages shoplifting, . . some priests are Paedophiles.

Then we have the Dentists, . . have you had any dental treatment recently ? .. that's if you can get a dentist to accept you.

Civil engineers, . . they've been working on upgrading a 5 mile stretch of dual carriageway near us for over a year, looks like they'll still be at it next year, . . a bit further along the same road they took 3 years to build a flyover, they completed the job 18 months ago but had to demolish is coz the foundations below the supporting pillars collapsed, . . it took them another 18 months for the rebuild.

Then we have the greedy bankers, they managed to bankrupt the country last year but are still operating the same gambling methods with our cash, . . it's time the joined gamblers anonymous IMO.

In every profession standards have dropped, . . even "tradesmen's" skills are in doubt, . . have you ever had to call in a plumber ? . . do you know a good mechanic you trust not to rip you off, . . the whole of the UK has lost pride and professionalism IMO, . . they are all in it for the cash.

We have become a nation of amateurs.
Such sweeping generalisations and exaggerations do you few favours. Stand back calm down and attempt to think rationally (note you might find this difficult) you might then see that, on balance, there are more good practitioners in their chosen fields than bad ones.

If I were to say all non-working dogs should be banned because their owners let them crap all over pavements without clearing up their disgusting mess there would be howls of outrage this is exactly how I feel about all uninformed generalisations.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2010, 09:29 PM

(note you might find this difficult)

nor did that on your part.

Wit and humour will always best sarcasm
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2010, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
Such sweeping generalisations and exaggerations do you few favours. Stand back calm down and attempt to think rationally (note you might find this difficult) you might then see that, on balance, there are more good practitioners in their chosen fields than bad ones.
If you are satisfied with the National Health Service staff in general all I can say is I hope for your sake you never get seriously ill VM, . . . . look back at some of the older posts in the Health section by other people rather than me, . . I'm not the only one who's been maltreated, . . only the other day one member was outraged by Specsavers.

My own GP treated me for an infected finger for over a year, . . then a doctor in casualty treated me, . . then another GP in my practice missed the cause of the infection, . . this was all after 8 different courses of AB's, . . . ultimately it was down to myself to extract the cause of the infection with a knife and a pair of tweezers, . . there were sweeping generalisation if you wish to call it that, . . do you think I'm still exaggerating ? . . 3 doctors and 3 nurses all had a go and did nothing.

The Civil Engineers I mentioned couldn't build a brick sh!te house IMO.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2010, 10:49 AM

Yes we can all quote cases of less than acceptable treatment the Daily Depress and Daily Wail do it every day- it sells newspapers - equally there is much evidence of exemplary treatment. With regard to your wishes for my health I am afraid it is too late – my much adored wife was struck down by Leukaemia two years ago.
nero
Central Scotland

26-01-2010, 12:47 PM

It's nothing to do with the tabloids VM, .. I don't read daily papers no more, . .. I hear what my friends and family have said about the health service and whilst I have some respect for some of them the state of management has fallen into chaos.

These managers go the business school and quite frankly they could'nt manage a two seat toilet.

Bankers take economics degrees in universities, . . the whole of the banking system is in the biggest mess since banking began centuries ago.

Civil engineers, . . . the Forth Road Bridge opened in 1964, . . . that's only 46 years ago, . . it's now in danger of collapsing due to corrosion inside the support cables, . . the Scottish office are desperate to build a new bridge and demolish the existing one, . . the Rail Bridge which was opened in 1890 is still in good order although it's of a different type of construction, . . it is however made of steel, any repairs can be done fairly easily, . . they cannot repair the cables on the road bridge.

Bridges that've stood the test of time "not" built buy British engineers are.

George Washington Bridge NY, - 1927.
Bronx Whitestone Bridge NY, - - 1939.
Brooklyn Bridge NY, - - - - - - - - 1883.
Manhatton Bridge, NY, - - - - - - 1912.
Robert F Kennedy Bridge, NY, - - 1936.

All of these bridges are the suspension type like the Forth Road Bridge, . . why have they not corroded like ours ?

I take no pleasure in slagging off our country but it's time we looked again at the standards of teaching in the UK, . . both in schools and universities.

PS: methinks I'll move to New York, . . the bridges are safer there.
romfty
spain
romfty is male 

26-01-2010, 01:11 PM

I think the schools are doing...........not too bad..........but the problem is the Universities, they have become huge business enterprises and will take anyone in now as long as they can pay or at least promise to. Too many kids rolling out of Uni with sports science degrees and you can now get a degree in almost anything, Pop Music, Cruise Management, Surf science and Contemporary Circus Management (far fetched?, just google on daft dgrees), so they need to get their act together.
nero
Central Scotland

26-01-2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by romfty ->
I think the schools are doing...........not too bad..........but the problem is the Universities, they have become huge business enterprises and will take anyone in now as long as they can pay or at least promise to. Too many kids rolling out of Uni with sports science degrees and you can now get a degree in almost anything, Pop Music, Cruise Management, Surf science and Contemporary Circus Management (far fetched?, just google on daft dgrees), so they need to get their act together.
I agree romfty, . . a statement regarding university student enrolment last week said that there are more and more students from better off families enrolling than from working class families, . . . we seem to have the class war emerging again.

In my school years I got on well with most of the teachers, . . . I have a friend who worked beside me in the company I used to work for, . . he left and became a mature student at the age of 39 studying history, he's since become a teacher in a secondary school in Dunfermline, . . the kids are a nightmare he says, . . there is no deterrent, . . corporal punishment was administered when I was at school and after a few infractions I soon learned that bad behaviour can be painful.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs

27-01-2010, 04:59 PM

I think Universities in the 70`s were great. I went from a small village in Bedfordshire up to Leeds.

Bless the 11+

How else would I have had a few beers and loads of sex with those from different places around the country??

Oh yes I got some qualifications as well

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top